We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Playa del Carmen newbie

Limerick...
4 posts
Save Topic
Playa del Carmen newbie

Hi all - any good advice for a 1st timer to playa del carmen? Only there 4nights, 5days and will be solo. Looking for more of a relaxing trip, but am open to doing some sort of half-day trip, or possibly some ocean kayaking. Also, staying at the Royal in Play del Carmen, hopefully not a terrible spot for a single male?

Thanks in advance.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,925 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Playa del Carmen newbie

Don't worry if nothing going on at resort your only steps away from either the beach bars or 5th avenue. You can do a 1/2 day trip to tulum or a cenote.

Savannah,GA
Destination Expert
for Savannah
Level Contributor
4,167 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Playa del Carmen newbie

Great hotel & location for Playa. For a 1/2 day trip close by would be Chaak Tun cenote. 2 cave cenote's & 1 open. Amazing experience. Bring water shoes or flip flops to walk from 1 cenote to the others. A little strenuous but worth it. Don't really need a snorkel.

Limerick...
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Playa del Carmen newbie

The cenote sounds pretty good, especially after i looked up what a cenote was..lol Thanks Swami & SavannahBruce for the tip. Any chance there will be some single ladies around? Not that it's a requirement, but would be nice if there was some potential. Otherwise I'm happy just to relax.

Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
1,250 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Playa del Carmen newbie

My favorite is Akumal Bay swimming with the sea turtles. We do it every year. There are plenty of single ladies at all the resorts we have stayed in. I don't think that will be a problem ;)

Edited: 09 July 2014, 18:57
Limerick...
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Playa del Carmen newbie

Thanks theyurfs, that is encouraging to hear :-)

Lancaster, Pa
Level Contributor
94 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Playa del Carmen newbie

there is definitely a huge amount of single people, groups of friends traveling in playa but keep in mind the nightlife starts LATE if you are going out to the bars/clubs, just head down 12th street and take your pick. ocean kayaking could be rough depending on the wind, but early in the day should be doable, i'm sure someone rents them if the hotel doesn't have them. definitely check out a cenote, try and fit in at least one scuba/snorkeling trip, Akumal is a great day trip and lots of info on this site about how to do it independently.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,502 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Playa del Carmen newbie

To help you out some, get a map of PdC from the Mapchick - it is like the best ever detailed map/guidebook you could ask for. http://www.cancunmap.com/

8. Re: Playa del Carmen newbie

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 01:16