We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amount of goods on arrival at Cancun Airport

Kalamazoo MI
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Amount of goods on arrival at Cancun Airport

I was reading online about you can only being $300 worth of good and currency into the country. I was going to bring my laptop(not an expensive one) to communicate with family back in MI, normal clothes for 7days, as well as get $200usd into pesos from my credit union. It states that if there is more than $300 worth they will impose fines.

Is this accurate? Anyone ever have problems with this?

18 replies to this topic
Shreveport...
Level Contributor
1,341 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Amount of goods on arrival at Cancun Airport

No American would ever be able to enter Mexico if this were true.

Fresno, California
Level Contributor
3,357 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Amount of goods on arrival at Cancun Airport

The $300 worth of goods you are referring to is in reference to gifts you are allowed to bring into the country for relatives and friends residing in Mexico. I think you can bring up to $10,000 cash before you have to declare it. As far as goods, one laptop is fine. I think basically anything that is for personal use is no problem. Now if you decided to bring 5 laptops you would probably need to explain yourself. Lol

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
43,669 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Amount of goods on arrival at Cancun Airport

We brought 2 cell phones, 1 ipad, a tablet and a laptop

No issues

I believe the limit is $500 flying into Mexico

See : yucalandia.com/answers-to-common-questions/…

You will get checked if you exceed wine/beer/liquor/cigarettes limits

Passengers over 18 years of age, may bring in a maximum of up to 20 packs of cigarettes, 25 cigars or 200 grams of tobacco and up to three liters of alcoholic beverages, and six liters of wine.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
2,785 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Amount of goods on arrival at Cancun Airport

That amount refers to what you will be permanently importing into Mexico before any tax is paid. This does NOT count your personal effects which you will be taking back home with you.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
2,785 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Amount of goods on arrival at Cancun Airport

And as for money, there is no limit to how much money you can bring into Mexico, but just like the US, if it is cash greater than $10000 or equivalent, it must be declared to customs, along with a good explanation.

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
5,251 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Amount of goods on arrival at Cancun Airport

Your Customs Declaration will enable you upon entering into Mexico Duty Free exemption of 500USD. This is beyond your normal exemption of personal items that you will use while on vacation. Therefore, your laptop and cell phone and personal clothing will not be counted towards your 500USD Exemption. This would only apply if lets say you had a house here and you are importing items that are going to stay in Mexico, like Ceiling fans, Microwaves, Tv's, etc.... If you are over 500USD, then the 16% IVA tax is applied on every 100USD that you are over. up to 4,000USD. Unless you are doing Business or have a home here, the tax will not be an issue.

7. Re: Amount of goods on arrival at Cancun Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 15 July 2014, 06:35

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
5,251 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Amount of goods on arrival at Cancun Airport

You are quoting in your internet copy and paste method a wrong and outdated law. It is not 300USD nor its equivalent for a Duty free exemption for Mexico. The new rule effective Jan 8th, 2014 is now a 500USD exemption on goods brought into Mexico. It is wise to check any updates before you copy and paste old and outdated information on these forums.

Edited: 15 July 2014, 06:27
Fresno, California
Level Contributor
3,357 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Amount of goods on arrival at Cancun Airport

My apologies. I assumed the US Dept of State website information was current. I will delete my post so as not to cause confusion.

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Amount of goods on arrival at Cancun Airport

This is the latest information: …sat.gob.mx/BienvenidoaMexico/opcion02.htm

Note that even the English version (press the U.S. flag) of this page is out of date! Use a translator to translate the page and you will see that indeed the gifts allowance is now $500 if arriving by air and also that the limit is now 10 packs of cigarettes not 20.

Reply to: Amount of goods on arrival at Cancun Airport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted