We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Akumal

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
206 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Akumal

Hi all! Planning yet another trip to the lovely PDC area and while I've been to Akumal before (twice) it's been two years and I have a few questions.

1. Last time I was there there seemed to be less turtles..Is there a time of year where you're more likely to see them? Last time we were there was early April this time will be early March.

2. Is the little shop with all the beautiful Catrina dolls still there? It was by the gate if I remember correctly. I can't remember the name but I'd like to add to my collection and it's where I finally found them last time.

3. Last time we checked out La Buena Vita. Any recommendations on good places to grab a bite and a drink?

TIA Can't wait to head back

Bit of a side question- Where's your favorite place to relax on Cozumal? I like Coconuts but I feel like it's just the tip.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
44,135 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Akumal

Definitely visit the Akumal forum and read its top questions

Try my Snorkel golf cart tour

1) Less turtles, likely if you arrive between 1030 am to 3 pm when there are TO MANY tours. These are resident turtles that stay year round

2( Yes, Mexicarte is still there

3) La Buena Vida (LBV) - part of the golf cart tour - try Tequilaville in the Pueblo - excellent if you vist a famous underground cenote (Santa Cruz) prior. In the Akumal area, a few other restaurants - see

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g499445-i9177-k379…

Great Smoky...
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
3,361 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Akumal

Sundog; I looked for your Golf Cart tour but can't seem to find it; sounds great can you shoot us a link to it. Thank you

Saint Peters...
Level Contributor
732 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Akumal

Be careful of Coconuts. I found out the hard way. As you know, that side of the island doesn't have electricity, and from what I understand they are under new management. My experience was grabbing lunch, and a drink. Big mistake. Since they have no refrigeration, they food cannot be kept cold to a safe level. Since this was the only place I ate prior to feeling ill, it had to be it. roughly two hours after eating there, my fiance and I started feeling warm. But it's Mexico...it's always warm. We got back to the hotel....and that's where things went south in a hurry. We had barely made it to the room when we both got extremely sick. We started feeling fine...but skipped dinner all together as food just didn't sound good. The next morning, we still didn't want to eat....but we had a light breakfast from some snacks we packed for the plane ride but never opened. Sick again. Long story short, we spent 80% of our trip confined to the room. Two weeks and two rounds of antibiotics later, we were back to normal. Granted, I know food poisoning can happen anywhere, but with no safe refrigeration, or electricity...I was asking for it.

Personally, I love Wet Wendy's. The locals wont tell you where it is because it's owned by an American, and he refuses to pay referrals to cab drivers. But it's easy to find. In the main town square, find the 7-11, and it's just north of the 7-11 on the left hand side. Best margaritas you'll ever have....and some very unique flavors. Chocolate / peanut butter? I know, I know...sounds nasty...but if you like peanut butter cups, you'll LOVE this. They also have a sister bar called The Thirsty Cougar that is just off of the main strip south of the town square. Both are awesome places, with really good food and drinks. They have a little bit of everything at Wet Wendy's. The last time I was there they had a gift shop, bar, restaurant, stage for live music, some nights they have salsa dancing / lessons, and were getting ready to open a stand for cigar rolling.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
4,730 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Akumal

imo the best place on cozumel to relax is on the southeast tip of the island...the rasta bar. not much there. but you grab a chair and face out over the ocean with nothing between you and dominican except water. great spot to watch the surf crash with a beer in your hand.

if you want to snorkel on coz, then the money bar is pretty good.

Edited: 16 July 2014, 16:36
Vancouver
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
44,135 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Akumal

Golf Cart tour

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g499445-i9177-k6581…

For Coz, we have been to Money Bar and Buccanos as beach clubs on the west side

East side (both Coconuts/Rastas is great (no snorkeling)

Great Smoky...
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
3,361 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Akumal

Thanks Sundog; I got in touch with Nayeli and she's hookin' me up.

I appreciate it!

Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,278 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Akumal

Why aren't the new rules for snorkeling being mentioned, especially for folks that been before, they may be surprised by how much it has changed? I support the new rules because they are meant to protect the turtles and reef, but if you go on your own it is quite surprising to be greeted by guides almost as if they were one of those guys on 5th trying to sell you tours. I understand why they are there now, but I initially tried to dismiss them as I would if I were walking 5th - my bad. Anyway, basically there is a small zone marked by buoys and lines in which you can snorkel unguided. Anything outside that zone, you need a guide, and also a vest. You can see turtles in the free zone, but there really isn't much coral in that area. I think the guides were around $35 USD per person.

Edited: 16 July 2014, 19:52
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
472 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Akumal

Leon,

I believe there have been several posts lately around the "new rules" not being real but some type of "scam" from tour companies just to get some customers to buy their tours.

That is a public beach and you don't need to pay to swim in the ocean... inside or outside the buoys.

Don't feel bad for dismissing their sales pitch... just tell them you've been there before and know the area and thank you for the offer, but no thank you :)

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
206 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Akumal

Thanks so much! Did not realize that there was a separate forum for this, I'll go check it out. Glad to hear that not much has changed. I certainly recommend booking a cart! We tried walking and had to stop and wait for one of us to go back and get a cart lol! I'm going to have to try the itinerary of the cart tour though as it sounds like a fun day.

Does anyone have any more info on the "snorkeling rules"? Is there anything official or is it all "he said, she said"?

Never had any issues with coconuts either time we've been there, but then we usually keep it pretty simple for food. Always too full on the tortillas and pico de gallo to eat much anyways. Wet Wendy's sounds nice, thanks for the directions.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
44,135 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Akumal

Does anyone have any more info on the "snorkeling rules"? Is there anything official or is it all "he said, she said"?

2 sets of rules

Vendor snorkeling tours / groups: Training by guides required / all participants must wear a snorkel jacket (some are the inflatable kind) and obeying the do it on your own rules

On your own rules (some not enforced but still recommended)

- Read www.ceakumal.org

- Visit their Akumal office and learn about the eco system and how to snorkel without harming the environment

- Use a snorkel vest or floatation device (I have seen / heard too many people die in the bay - I myself went out 1 day without mine, swallowed some sea water and needed the CEA Kayak to get me back to shore) - another reason is that snorkelers without a vest often tread water much harder with large fins that then stir up all the sand and damage coral or sea fans without even noticing

- minimal or no sunscreen. - I use a rashguard / head covering - if you must use sunscreen, ensure it is reef friendly - mineral / no chemical blockers

- give all sealife distance and no hovering above large sealife - turtles - 6 feet distance - sticking a gopro on a pole 1 foot in front of a turtle is NOT allowed

- No touching any rock / coral

- Even standing on rock/sand past 10-20 feet could damage sealife

- in the boat lane - swim non stop to the other side

-Obey the Life Guard on the white tower - he has jurisdiction on the bay

Edited: 17 July 2014, 05:30