We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booking excursions in the Uk or waiting till RIU Tequila

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sunderland, United...
Level Contributor
28 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Booking excursions in the Uk or waiting till RIU Tequila

Is it better booking excursions here in the UK through Thomson's or waiting to book either at the hotel with Thomson's or elsewhere locally?

Bar crawl and 1 or 2 sightseeing tours is what we are looking for.

Off to the RIU tequila 8th august, first time in Mexico so any help appreciated .

Huntsville, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,263 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Booking excursions in the Uk or waiting till RIU Tequila

I always recommend to wait until you get there to book. Yes, you may pay a bit more but you will have a much better idea of the weather and how are you feeling (how active you really want to be) once you get there. We often find that once we are relaxing at our resort, we have no desire to leave since we have already paid for everything at the resort!

Enjoy your trip!

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
1,204 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Booking excursions in the Uk or waiting till RIU Tequila

Hi, Thomson excursions are way overpriced and you can do a lot of them diy, eg take a collectivo to Xcaret / Xel-ha and pay on the gate, or take a collectivo to Akumal to swim with the turtles etc.

1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Booking excursions in the Uk or waiting till RIU Tequila

I am also interested in some activities to book. I will be staying at RIU Tequila Aug 14-20.

I stayed in Gran Bahia Coba resort, down in Akumal, a few years ago and enjoyed going out to the Tulum ruins.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
2,375 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Booking excursions in the Uk or waiting till RIU Tequila

If there are 4 people and want to go to Xel-Ha and want to take a taxi for example, it will be cheaper to use Thomsons. That's what I found anyway. We had 2 young babies so needed a taxi. 100 pounds round trip!

For less than 4, do something independently or shop around.

Shop around before booking anything.

Worcester, United...
Level Contributor
161 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Booking excursions in the Uk or waiting till RIU Tequila

There are 3 of us and we found it cheaper (and more flexible) to get a taxi. The only trips we booked via Thomson (and we did it when we were there) were Coba ruins and Xel-Ha. If we go to Xel-Ha this year we will do it independently as we found it too restrictive to stick to their timescales - we were sat on the bus for 40 mins waiting to come back because someone didn't arrive when they should have done.

6. Re: Booking excursions in the Uk or waiting till RIU Tequila

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 July 2015, 05:17