We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Xel-ha Xcaret

miami beach
Level Contributor
159 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Xel-ha Xcaret

We are heading back in Sept. After 7 trips it's time to try something new. What can we expect food/drink wise with Xel-ha all-inclusive? We love snorkeling so seem to be leaning towards xel-ha over Xcaret, but suggestions welcome.

Which is closer to Playa? Etc. Yes we have read and read, your experiences make it easier!:)

SK
Level Contributor
1,216 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Xel-ha Xcaret

Xcaret is very close to Playa, just past the southern part of town. It's a subjective thing; I prefer Xel Ha over Xcaret for the same reason--snorkeling. I like the tubes, the cliff jump and the caves. The food has improved over the years at Xel Ha, and the drinks seem standard to me. If I'm remembering properly, there is a buffet style restaurant and a sit down ala carte restaurant. I like the various nooks and crannies that have chairs and loungers, always a spot to take a rest or quick nap.

Hope this helps.

St Paul, MN
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
12,828 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Xel-ha Xcaret

Pictures are worth a thousand words:

Overview on youtube for Xcaret 2014

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4T1HtrDgnQo

Matt’s youtube Dec 2012

www.youtube.com/watch…

www.youtube.com/watch…

www.youtube.com/watch…

Xcaret is only about 6 miles from Playa, about 10 minutes, 120 pesos.

Xel Ha is about 45 minutes south of Playa.

Numerous choices for beer, generic drinks like margaritas at Xel Ha. Xcaret is not all inclusive for drinks.

I wasn't thrilled with the snorkeling at Xel Ha, but they have lots of other neat activities. Akumal Bay and snorkeling with the turtles and other underwater sea life is much much much better.

Lenexa, Kansas
Level Contributor
2,503 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Xel-ha Xcaret

We have been to both places several times. Yes, Xel-Ha is better for a day in the water. You can rake the ADO bus from PDC to the park. I think getting the all-inclusive option is the best way to go. You get more than food and drinks with this option. You can spend an entire day at the park.

I love the night performance at XCaret. It is worth seeing.

Shreveport, LA
Level Contributor
122 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Xel-ha Xcaret

We will be returning to OGX in PDC in September as well and would like to do something new. We visit Xcaret on every trip and LOVE it and it is so convenient to OGX. We have also done Xplor and enjoyed it but not nearly as much as Xcaret. On our last trip, OldTraveller3, almost had me convinced to try Akumal but we reconsidered last minute because we had our three children with us, one of them being only four at the time. This year we will make it to Akumal since this trip is an adult only trip celebrating 20 years :-) So my questions are what is the best day to go to Akumal and should we give Xelha a try this trip or stick with Xcaret? We are only here for 5 days this trip and I only want to do two "excursions" outside of the resort. Any help, tips, opinions are appreciated. Happy travels :-)

Southern California
Level Contributor
13,848 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Xel-ha Xcaret

Weekdays are good for Akumal, locals have Sunday off so it can be a little more crowded. Go early to avoid the hordes of snorkel tours which start about 10am. Been a long time since I have been to Xel-Ha so will let someone else advise about that part of your question.

SK
Level Contributor
1,216 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Xel-ha Xcaret

If you've never done Xel Ha I would recommend it at least once. It's not an inexpensive day but the facilities are something to be seen. Have actually found Saturdays to be a good day to visit as it is generally "moving day" for many tourists. Hope this helps.

7. Re: Xel-ha Xcaret

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 July 2015, 06:15