We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need Advice; late Dec 2014 Trip, Suite for 4 adults (family)

Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Need Advice; late Dec 2014 Trip, Suite for 4 adults (family)

I haven't been to the Mayan Riviera for 27 years, is it best to work through an agent? Should we rent a car or use the bus to visit Tulum & Xel Ha?

I'm looking for either a hotel with a (4 person) suite or a condo or apartment, preferably with a minifridge & microwave, and definitely near the beach. I don't care about a pool or room service. I'd like to avoid families with small children. Restaurant and Internet access is a must. I don't want to pay more than $150/night since we plan to stay nearly 3 weeks, although it will be high season.

Any advice for me?

Great Smoky...
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
3,215 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need Advice; late Dec 2014 Trip, Suite for 4 adults (family)

If you can be more specific about dates that will be helpful but try homeaway.com or vrbo for condos and apartments.$150 night will get you in what you want.

If you scroll back on this forum a week or two you will find everything you want on ADO bus and Xel Ha. Tulum actually has it's own forum but scrolling back will also get you the answers you seek on Tulum too. Look to your right, on this screen, at the list and get even more info. When you do the research then come on back and you will have a better idea what, where, and how. Just my humble opinion.

As far as agents? I can't help you there but someone will be along that can. I am the type that books my own flights, finds my own hotel or condo, skips the agent and saves money that I use to run out on catamarans, take trips, eat, drink, and be merry. There are people who go the agent route or AI route; I am just not one of them.

Whatever you do; have a Blast!

Playa del Carmen...
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
8,683 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Need Advice; late Dec 2014 Trip, Suite for 4 adults (family)

Well I can't think of anything that fits this bill, especially at that time and at that budget. Maybe it depends on what qualifies as a restaurant? (I mean how attached the restaurant has to be to the property to be considered part of it. Just nearby?)

Certainly not aware of any beach hotels that would offer a 2-room suite for as little as 150 USD per night during the Xmas/NY's holiday season, the single most expensive time of the year. Might find that in the earlier part of December, prior to about the 20th...

3. Re: Need Advice; late Dec 2014 Trip, Suite for 4 adults (family)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 July 2015, 06:15