We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Royal Playa Del Carmen

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
326 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Royal Playa Del Carmen

Only 17 more days and counting! Any words of wisdom? Rooms? Wine, I heard is not so good. :( I am a red wine drinker.

Saint Peters...
Level Contributor
732 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Royal Playa Del Carmen

It all depends on what you're looking for. Me personally, I like the rooms in the "quiet" area of the resort. The middle wing with a garden view that faces the "quiet" area. The rooms near the pool, and exterior tend to be noisier.

Wine...I can't say, since I'm not a wine drinker. However, you can purchase just about any wine you want, but be prepared to buck up the cash, as it can be pricey. With that said, if you want to try a domestic wine, it's my understanding that wine from Baja is getting better and better now that the vineyards are becoming well established.

Also, there is a dress code for certain restaurants for dinner. Spice is really the only one without a dress code per se...but who wants to eat at a buffet for every meal? Pelicano's has a dress code posted, but they tend to be more lenient as it's outdoor seating. IMO, Maria Marie or Chef's Plate is the best...but Chef's Plate is only for certain room categories. In short, be prepared to dress up...it all depends on what they feel is appropriate...and it can very from night to night. I've seen people get turned away at restaurants for wearing shorts, but the next night, they'll let somebody in who has shorts on. You'll never go wrong with something nice though.

They used too...hoping they still do this...but three times a week they would have a different party where the restaurants would be closed. In the main courtyard, they would open a huge gourmet buffet and party. One night it was a "White Lounge" where they had white couches, white coffee tables, white tables and chairs, and everybody wears white (not required though). One night they would have a "Caribbean Night" with different Caribbean style foods, and Latin dancing and music. And one night they would have "Mexican Night" with traditional Mexican dishes, a mariachi, and traditional dances. These were always a lot of fun too...hope they still do these!

I've been multiple times, and The Royal in Playa del Carmen is by far my favorite resort. They all have something nice about them...but The Royal just seems better than the others IMO.

Savannah,GA
Destination Expert
for Savannah
Level Contributor
3,970 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Royal Playa Del Carmen

They had about 12 different white & red wines in the 24 hr lounge a couple where rather good. There was one from Argentina that was nice with the lamb I had at dinner.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,646 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Royal Playa Del Carmen

I've heard that the White Party no longer exists but maybe they've brought it back. When we were there last year they had a white party but no food or any special food events in the lawn, all restaurants were open nightly.

If you are there during the martini tasting I highly recommend it, it was fun and you get to try some great drinks.

If you can't find a wine at the resort that you like you can always walk to Mega and take a look at their selection. Our room had wine glasses and an opener so that might be an option.

And we also prefer the quieter room in the courtyard area, last year we had room 901 which was perfect (assuming you're in a standard oceanview). It had a full on view of the ocean and was close to the Coffee House which we visited frequently.

The dress code at this resort is always in question, I really wish they would either update their website or stop telling people it's ok to wear shorts to dinner. We checked in with the romance concierge last year and she said only Chef's Plate required pants and there were plenty of people in Maria Marie's wearing shorts. We enjoyed this and of course brought pants just in case but they didn't enforce anything while we were there and confirmed in email prior to arriving the same information.

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
326 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Royal Playa Del Carmen

Thanks guys. Where is Mega? Do you have to purchase the wines in the 24 hour lounge?

Bayville, New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,391 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Royal Playa Del Carmen

No, you don't have to purchase the wine in the 24 hour lounge, but it is the same wine that they have at the restaurants. We were there in May and had one or two red at the lounge. I am also a red wine drinker, and by no means a wine snob, but IMO the wine there was pretty bad. When we checked in there was a bottle of red wine in the room. We thought it was a nice thought until we opened it. The cork disintegrated into the bottle. When we left the Royal we went to a condo for five nights. We took a cab to Mega for supplies and they had a nice selection of wines there. I would definitely get a couple of bottle for the room if we stayed again at the Royal.

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
326 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Royal Playa Del Carmen

thanks that is what I will do, But where is Mega?

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,646 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Royal Playa Del Carmen

Mega is on the same road that RPDC is on, Constituyentes. If you leave the resort take a right (going West away from the beach) and Mega will be a few blocks down on your left. If you have any desire to try food off of the resort there is a really popular restaurant called Carboncitos right across from Mega. But you really can't miss the Mega building, it's huge and the sign is bright orange.

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
326 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Royal Playa Del Carmen

thank you!

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
40,836 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Royal Playa Del Carmen

Perhaps review the map of Playa !!

I like this interactive map

http://intheroo.com/map

10. Re: Royal Playa Del Carmen

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 July 2015, 05:16