We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mexican Cigars?

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kuujjuaq, Canada
Destination Expert
for Prince Edward Island
Level Contributor
4,511 posts
87 reviews
Save Topic
Mexican Cigars?

Coming off of 6 trips to the cigar capital of the world, Cuba, I was just wondering what is available in Mexico? I've noticed several resorts have cigar bars. Are the cigars people buying/smoking in Mexico of Mexican origin or from other places? What is the price range for cigars in Mexico? I'm a cigar fan, but I can't honestly say I've had a Mexican brand. A trip down South doesn't feel right without a good cigar in the evenings or at the beach/pool. Am I best to bring some from my stock or can they be had at good prices in Mexico?

Edited: 18 July 2014, 20:18
New York
Level Contributor
208 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mexican Cigars?

There is a small, but very nice cigar shop right on 5th avenue at Playa del Carmen. They have all kinds of cigars - from Dominican Republic, Mexico, Cuba, Latin America countries. The cost varies from $5US to $40-50US, depending on origin, size and strength.

Kuujjuaq, Canada
Destination Expert
for Prince Edward Island
Level Contributor
4,511 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mexican Cigars?

Thanks for that. Are the prices comparable to what you'd pay at home, or quite a bit cheaper as in Cuba? In Cuba I usually pick up a box of Romeo Y Julieta #2s for about $4 a piece. In Canada I'd pay closer to $12 a piece for those. What should I expect in Mexico? Looking forward to sampling some options from Nicaragua which is arguably as good if not better than Cuban brands.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
5,420 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mexican Cigars?

I'm a cigar lover, and please take my advice - this is NOT the place to buy cigars. Smart smokers BYO. Storage conditions are poor, the hyper prevalence of counterfeit Cubans is rampant, and the prices for a decent DR, Nic or Honduran at the shop referenced are outrageous. Again, BYO. As for a good Mexican stick, try a TeAmo robusto. Very nice.

Kuujjuaq, Canada
Destination Expert
for Prince Edward Island
Level Contributor
4,511 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mexican Cigars?

That's the sense I've been getting the more I read on Mexican cigars bellasogno, thank you. Will bring a bunch of my own from the humidor. I read a tip that I should store them in ziplock bags to prevent excessive humidity which i thought was a great idea. Just curious, what do the Mexican cigars cost? In all the reading I've done the TeAmo seems like the brand that is most recommended. Apparently many of this brand use leaves and/or tobacco from other regions which are better at cigar production.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
5,420 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mexican Cigars?

Yes, from your humidor to zip locks, and keep them that way during your stay. Open the ziplock and they'll bust.

I buy my TeAmos by the box from my local tobacconist, and can't help with prices in your area or Mexico. Again, I wouldn't even buy them there. If your local tobacconist doesn't sell them, tell them you'd like to try them, and order you some. If no luck, purchase them online. Tip: New York, Long Island specifically.

Enjoy and salud.

Edited: 19 July 2014, 01:51
San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
5,420 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mexican Cigars?

To clarify, don't open and keep open the ziplock bag, or they'll bust ;)

7. Re: Mexican Cigars?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 July 2015, 06:16