We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Trip to Playa

Yuba City...
2 posts
Save Topic
First Trip to Playa

First trip to Playa Del Carmen next month. First to trip to Mexico actually....

What are your recommendations, warnings, etc for the trip (5 night stay).

Saint Peters...
Level Contributor
732 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Trip to Playa

The Yucatan is completely safe despite what you may hear on the news or the web. Statistically speaking, it's probably safer than your home town. Don't be afraid to get out an explore. The only real warning is to wear sunscreen, and avoid the time share people at the airport.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
42,671 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: First Trip to Playa

My hints / tips (in no order)

1) Read this vacation planner

cancunmap.com/cancun-vacation-planner.html

2) Read the past 5 pages of threads and go up one forum to read threads - many great questions answered

3) Many places to visit can be done by taxi or colectivo (public passenger vans) as all you need is transportation. All very safe

4) Read the trip advisor helpful hints (Things to do, restaurants) at the top of the page and Top Questions

Edited: 20 July 2014, 01:29
Savage, Minnesota
Level Contributor
3,323 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Trip to Playa

5th Avenue is better after dark. So many shops, restaurants and bars to choose from.

Savannah,GA
Destination Expert
for Savannah
Level Contributor
4,169 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Trip to Playa

Not a great amount of time so plan on coming back.

1, It will take most of the 1st full day at the beach to believe the blue color of the water.

2, see Chichen Itza.

3, relax afternoon at Chaak Tun evening 5th ave

4, Xcaret

5, cry because your going home/ start planning next trip.

Cenote Chaak Tun just outside of Playa. $10-$15 taxi each way ( pay separate each way ) amazing experience with out massive grounds. Around $20 to $30 (pp) + $10 tip for the guide. Worth the money.

Next time spend the little extra money to get to Cancun before noon. You can on the beach by 1:00 PM

Have a great time.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First Trip to Playa

At the airport after clearing customs don't stop for the 'helpful' people in the airport. They are trying to sell you something. Have you pre-arranged your transportation to your hotel/resort?

Kuujjuaq, Canada
Destination Expert
for Prince Edward Island
Level Contributor
4,511 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First Trip to Playa

I am in the same boat so this thread has been very helpful. Is there a way to distinguish these timeshare people I keep hearing about from legitimate transfer companies? Thinking of booking through Orbitz and making a reservation using Canada Transfers. Sorry to hijack your thread Eric, just asking a follow up to Darlene's comment.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First Trip to Playa

Islander,

No one inside the airport is from a transfer company. You don't walk very far. As soon as you get outside you will see all the transfer greeters holding their signs.

Kuujjuaq, Canada
Destination Expert
for Prince Edward Island
Level Contributor
4,511 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First Trip to Playa

Perfect, thanks for that. If you've booked private transfers in advance do one of these company agents have your name on a sign or do they assign you to the next available driver? Just curious.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
42,671 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: First Trip to Playa

quote: If you've booked private transfers in advance do one of these company agents have your name on a sign or do they assign you to the next available driver?

Some have signs with your names or a sign / shirts with their company name

Easy to spot

They will have a specific vehicle for you

Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
1,251 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First Trip to Playa

I highly recommend Canada Transfers. We use them every time and are never disappointed.

My fave thing always is snorkeling in Akumal Bay. Tulum is high on my list as well. You can do both in one day. An evening cocktail at Fusion on the sand is a must.

5 days is really not enough.