We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Return to VIM or try something new?

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Return to VIM or try something new?

We stayed at VIM last Dec for the first time and loved it! We are now planning to go back in Feb 2015 and thought it might be nice to stay closer to town. I'm looking at The Royal...any thoughts on if it's as nice or nicer than VIM?

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
22,846 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Return to VIM or try something new?

A frequent poster on these forums, Kelli (of Kelli&Doug) has stayed at both and prefers RPDC over the VIM, especially for the in-town location.

See post #5 on this thread for Kelli's comments on RPDC - tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g659488-i11442-k766…

Edited: 25 July 2014, 16:34
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,681 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Return to VIM or try something new?

kelvitz-Llisa is correct, we've been to the VIM 3 times and to RPDC (The Royal) twice and prefer The Royal in all categories except for the secluded beach at the Valentin. I'll be honest and say that while we enjoy being on the beach we aren't so particular that we need a secluded and quiet beach so the beach at RPDC is perfect for us...especially considering how much we love to people watch. It's a lot busier since it's right in town but since it sounds like you're familiar with RPDC's location you probalby already assumed this.

Without knowing exactly what you loved so much about the Valentin it's hard to say if RPDC will be a good fit but in our experiences we prefer the service, rooms, food and location at RPDC over Valentin. Don't get me wrong, our 3 trips to the Valentin were great but the trips to RPDC were even better. We love that you can see the beach from most areas of the resort (including our room patio) and that the dining options are flexible with no reservations and a more relaxed dress code during our visit last year. There are buffet and a la carte options for every meal of the day at RPDC whereas VIM only has buffet or room service for both breakfast and lunch. We also love the stuff like the free hydrotherapy area in the spa, 24-hour lounge with self serve snacks/drinks and the Coffee House that is open late with wonderful treats to go. What really seals the deal for us is how we can leave the lobby of the Royal and are only minutes away from art galleries, shopping, music, night life, beach bars...you name it and it's at our doorstep.

Let me know if you have any other detailed questions about comparing the resorts and I'll do my best!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Return to VIM or try something new?

KelliandDoug-RPDC sounds amazing! I guess the only thing we didn't like about VIM is how far away from town it was. We will be vacationing with friends who have never been to Mexico, and I was thinking that being closer to town would be a nice option. Thank you so much for you detailed information! We will keep it in mind when booking our trip!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Return to VIM or try something new?

One other question, does RPDC have 24 hour room service like VIM?

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,681 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Return to VIM or try something new?

kelvitz-yes they definitely do and they will let you order things not found on the menu. We wanted flank steak nachos one night last year and got just that, they even grilled the jalepeno's for my husband. They also have a really big room service breakfast menu which is something we really enjoy on vacation. Every room also has the "magic box" for room service, if you have your do not disturb sign on they will put your order into the box then turn the light on so you'll be able to see once it's in there.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Return to VIM or try something new?

Love the "magic box" idea! I'm guessing you can put your dirty dishes in the box instead of everyone leaving them on the floor in the hallway like at VIM?!

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,681 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Return to VIM or try something new?

Yes, we always put our dirty dishes back in the box and they would be cleared once we've left our room or the next time our room was cleaned. We went to RPDC in 2008 then to the Valentin for the next 3 vacations so when we came back to RPDC last year it was small stuff like not having dirty dishes in the halls and being able to order non-menu room service items that really made us notice the differences. They also don't have towel cards and have a plethora of beach towels laying all around the resort.

I know this is a silly extra but they have a beach butler that walks around the beach and pools all day and will clean your sunglasses, give you sunscreen and has books/magazines to read. Sometimes they will have fruit and pass that out but it goes quick.

If you are bored or have some extra time and want to read some very detailed trip reports with food pictures, etc. let me know and I can send you a message on where to find them.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Return to VIM or try something new?

I would love to see the pictures and such!

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
2,612 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Return to VIM or try something new?

I've been to both RPDC and ViM, but unlike Kelly, I prefer VIM. Found the food better, service better, rooms were comparable (we had a golden at VIM). Beach at RPDC was way too crowded, the pool was divided, with a very small area for the swim up bar, no shade at pool. Fairly small resort footprint. Best thing was location.

Loved the VIM's huge pool with 2 swimup bars, beautiful beach, the plaza in the evening for dancing under the stars, and beautiful grounds to wander.

Not to say, we won't return to RPDC when we want to go to town often, but for ambience, would choose VIM. Headed back for 3rd visit in a few months.

Oklahoma City...
11 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Return to VIM or try something new?