We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recent Reviews of Grand Velas - Sounds Like a Madhouse!

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
new york
Level Contributor
69 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Recent Reviews of Grand Velas - Sounds Like a Madhouse!

We're leaving for a 4 night stay at Grand Velas next Thursday and I'm so surprised by the recent negative reviews indicating large, rowdy groups. I assumed all the conventions and weddings would take place mostly in the winter. I certainly wouldn't want to get married in Mexico in July!

It's such a quandary. Obviously, the resort needs these groups for the revenue they provide, in order to maintain their high quality of food and facilities, but it really does impact the experience of individuals looking for a quiet, luxurious getaway.

I hope I am able to report back that the resort was rowdy party free, or, that the groups did not affect us. Fingers crossed it's worth the $$$!

Stowe, Vermont
Level Contributor
7,084 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recent Reviews of Grand Velas - Sounds Like a Madhouse!

Grand Velas is a resort well-known for large groups. Lots and lots of corporate groups. Who unfortunately do not care what time of the year they plan their events!

I wish you luck.

North Truro...
Level Contributor
8,579 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recent Reviews of Grand Velas - Sounds Like a Madhouse!

Our most recent visit to GV was in March and we will not be returning for just that reason. The corporate group was adolescent like, rowdy, drunk, obnoxious, boisterous and inconsiderate to say the least. We were quite inconvenienced by the disturbances and drunken guests. Don't mind anyone having a good time partying, just swearing, throwing footballs on adult only section of beach, yelling at the beach concierge, etc.....

You get the picture.

The restaurants were overcome with obnoxious diners who overindulged, clapped and wooot wooot!! all night long.

Management chose to do nothing to rectify the situations.

The final straw was when we wrote a letter to management after we returned home, letting them know of our negative experience and how we had been pleading with them to address the issue and getting nowhere, therefore ruining our vacation, we got absolutely no response.

We will not return.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,319 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Recent Reviews of Grand Velas - Sounds Like a Madhouse!

Are you staying at the "zen" section or ambassador?

These groups tend to congregate in the ambassador section by the main pool...

Went there last july w/ wife and 2 kids and felt like 2nd class . Edward Jones ( the financial house) overrun the place.

In fact, i had a room booked in the ambassador section ( by the main pool, beach front), and was bumped to the Zen section ( set back 1/2 mile from beach) to accomodate this group :-/

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,319 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Recent Reviews of Grand Velas - Sounds Like a Madhouse!

Took wife/ kids there last July. Felt relegated to " fend for our selves" as all attention was on a large group of investement people from Edward Jones .

Totally sucked to share the pool and bars with those nasty, overpriviliged finace guys...in fact, they could do no wrong in the hotel's eyes because of the revenue.

To add insult to injury, on my arrival at Grand Velas, i was told that my reservation for beach front room at the ambassdor section( already paid for 2 weeks prior) , could not be honored, and that they essentially bumped us to the Zen area( set back in the forest about 1/2 mile away from the beach/ main pool area !)

Oh, never got a full refund for the difference in price/ night ( Zen rooms were cheaper) !!!

Orange County...
Level Contributor
8,032 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Recent Reviews of Grand Velas - Sounds Like a Madhouse!

Not good service for such an expensive place. 2 years ago, the Ritz Cancun emailed me that they were having a large group staying at their hotel at the same time we were booked, and wanted to let us know just in case we wanted to change plans...which we did. Now that's service!

North Truro...
Level Contributor
8,579 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Recent Reviews of Grand Velas - Sounds Like a Madhouse!

BTW we were repeat visitors to GV and it made absolutely no difference. They very openly cater to the large groups who book there, leaving the single room guest with a second rate vacation.

Tomball, Texas
Level Contributor
3,684 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Recent Reviews of Grand Velas - Sounds Like a Madhouse!

>>2 years ago, the Ritz Cancun emailed me that they were having a large group staying at their hotel at the same time we were booked, and wanted to let us know just in case we wanted to change plans...which we did. <<

All resorts should feel obligated to do this. So far, the groups that have been at resorts when I've been there have been well-behaved, but I've heard enough horror stories to make me dread groups as a whole.

new york
Level Contributor
69 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Recent Reviews of Grand Velas - Sounds Like a Madhouse!

We're staying in the Zen section, which I understand is also the 'convention center,' but I can understand the groups not wanting to hang out at the Zen pool. Another TA member who I believe is there now did call prior to the trip and was told there were no groups. She called again closer to her arrival date and was told there were two groups arriving the day before or after them.

I don't know if I was subconsciously not seeing this information, but I feel like I read practically every review and didn't get the impression it was such a big problem.

It also sounds like with this, and a lot of other problems, management does not do a good job remedying the situation. That, to me, is poor service. I don't care if you make a mistake, as long as you fix it!

Anyway, we drop all 3 kids at sleep-away camp tomorrow and then it's 4 more sleeps until the bliss, or chaos, of Grand Velas! I will go in with an open mind and a forgiving spirit and hope for the best. I'll report back upon our return in August.

Thanks for all the input!

new york
Level Contributor
69 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Recent Reviews of Grand Velas - Sounds Like a Madhouse!

I just heard back from Grand Velas. They told me there is one wedding scheduled during our 4 night stay. I can live with that. I'll report back upon our return! Three sleeps!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,319 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Recent Reviews of Grand Velas - Sounds Like a Madhouse!

Oh good!

Btw, ground floor rooms at the Zen section tend to be dark and musty smelling due it the thick/ damp jungly growth around them...I'd definitely ask for a top floor room ( brighter and more air circulation ! ).

You will be presented with a check at the end of each meal showing what your order would have cost, and a total of "0" at he bottom, and a "tip line under that...Weird for an all inclusive!!!

Always take a copy of every check with you and save them for any surprises at check out ;-)

Happy and safe travels.