We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What jabs\tabs do I need for playa del carmen October

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
317 posts
1 review
Save Topic
What jabs\tabs do I need for playa del carmen October

Hey off to playa del carmen with the mrs October 7th With it being are first time we are abit unsure of if we need any jabs\tabs we will need. Thanks

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
3,376 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What jabs\tabs do I need for playa del carmen October

There are web sites which give advice but when I went I had none. Stuck to bottled water or alcohol and never had a problem Took plenty of remedies just in case but common sense usually prevails. Re malaria I believe that the Yucatan Penisula is malaria free but you may need to have jabs/pills if you intend to travel inwards.

Level Contributor
317 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: What jabs\tabs do I need for playa del carmen October

Ah yeah we do plan on doing trips like jungle jim Atv trips and a few other where we will go thru the jungle so might be worth getting some just in case

Devon, United...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
38,203 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What jabs\tabs do I need for playa del carmen October

Here is the 'Fit for Travel' website from the NHS with all info you need.

http://tinyurl.com/o4ytoxo

Also make an appointment with your GP/Practice Nurse as they know and will have your health record/history.

Angie.

Level Contributor
317 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: What jabs\tabs do I need for playa del carmen October

Thank you so much angie :)

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
27,110 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What jabs\tabs do I need for playa del carmen October

Yes, agree with previous post.........definitely check with your health care provider to see what, if any, vaccines you may need.........

Level Contributor
317 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: What jabs\tabs do I need for playa del carmen October

I will do :). Thank you

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
14,963 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What jabs\tabs do I need for playa del carmen October

Hepatitis A vaccine is recommended for travel to Mexico. Safe and effective vaccine. Hep A is endemic in Mexico. Easily transmitted through food/water/poor hygiene. It doesn't have to be your hygiene either. You're only as safe as the hygiene of the person serving/preparing your food.

Even though Hepatitis B is harder to contract, since it can be combined in the same injection as Hep A, might as well get vaccinated against that as well.

Last I read there wasn't any malaria in the Yucatan, other than the far southern areas, not places where tourists generally go.

Perhaps tyhpoid, depends on how you travel and where you choose to go.

In the end, do speak with a health care professional. I've found many family physicians to be relatively uninformed when it comes to travel medicine. I'd go to a travel clinic, or, do some research yourself and go to your local md with some idea what vaccines you want/need.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
23,013 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What jabs\tabs do I need for playa del carmen October

My doctor recommended Hep A vaccinations - it's endemic to the region and can have some nasty long term consequences.

Other than that, she just confirmed that our regular vaccinations (tetanus etc.) were up to date.

I know some people (especially those from the UK it seems) get typhoid vaccinations too but my doctor (whose practice is attached to a travel clinic) didn't think it was necessary.

As noted above though, checking with your own GP is best as they are familiar with your medical history.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
27,110 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What jabs\tabs do I need for playa del carmen October

You're welcome...enjoy the Riviera Maya!

Devon, United...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
38,203 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What jabs\tabs do I need for playa del carmen October

You're very welcome andyandlizzy :)

Angie.