We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where are you going and why?

South Jersey shore
Level Contributor
276 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Where are you going and why?

Thought it would be interesting to find out where everyone is going and why they chose that particular resort? Also..when and for how long?

---We are going to the Occidental Grand Xcarat next July for 10 days. Reasons:

---Good Reviews

--small, man-made cove for beginner snorkeling(9-yr old daughter)

--nice pools

--Next door to Xcarat for Dolphin Swimming and river-tubing.

--Jr. Suites offered for low price(we like a larger room)

We are well-aware of the small, man-made beach and it does not bother us...its actually what we are looking for for our daughter to snorkel every day. We live at the Jersey shore so we get our fair-share of big beaches(and crowds--oy!) in the summertime.

We just returned from the Barcelo Maya Tropical and LOVED it....HUGE beach, great beach snorkeling, kids' water park with slides, awesome pools, new rooms, and just a wonderful newer(huge) resort. We will be returning within the next few years......we just don't like to go to the same place 2x in a row.

We also have stayed in Cancun at the Fiesta Americana Grand Coral Beach and loved that as well.....it was a 5+ star resort..however non AI.

We've been to the IB Lindo also and it was a very nice resort...however a bit too crowded for us in the summer...and the beach(water) was a bit of a disappointment. We much preferred the Barcelo overall...for the non-crowded -ness alone, and beach.

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,210 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where are you going and why?

Well, we stayed at the OFGX in 2004 and WON'T return to that resort BECAUSE of the small beach! Just goes to show...to each his own!

We're going back to PDC in just 9 days...WOO HOO! This time, we are staying at Shangri La Caribe.

Reasons:

*Smaller resort

*Location, location, location

*Individual Oceanfront Bungalow...need I say more?!!

*Rumored to have the BEST beach in the area

We were booked to stay at SLC last year, but the Hurricane forced us to change our plans, so we went to Aruba instead. We're back to PDC this year, though!

South Jersey shore
Level Contributor
276 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where are you going and why?

beach--LOL. Yes, that is why I thought this topic might be interesting. Everyone has their own indivudal "criteria" for what they look for in a resort. Since we live at the beach, its not a huge-deal for us...although on-site snorkeling is since we do not like to travel outside of our resort while on vacation..even to snorkel. But for someone who lives in Kansas(or AZ..LOL), who don't see the beach often, its obviously a big draw on vacation.

That is why I take bad reviews with a grain of salt. Usually the occassional bad reviews of a resort that USUALLY gets good reviews overall..is from someone that was looking for something in particular, and the resort did not offer it(big beach, top-notch cervice, outstanding food etc.).

A big beach, gourmet food and top-notch service is actually at the BOTTOM of our list as far as what we look for in a resort. We prefer to wait on ourselves and be left alone(so service is not a big deal to us), eat casually at buffets when we want to(burgers are fine with us...especially with our 9-yr old) and prefer the pools to the beach since we see the beach every day at home.

We look for awesome pools(and lots of them), nice rooms(we are in our rooms a lot with our child), a good(shallow) snorkeling beach on-site, and a non-crowded resort. Also a large resort is best for us with many things to do onsite, since we do not like to take outside excursions on vacation(i.e. Xcarat being onsite....or the Water Park/mini-golf etc. at the Barcelo)..we like to stay right at our resort all week. Also an air-conditioned buffet(for breakfasts and dinners) is a MUST since we travel in the summer.

Philadelphia, Pa
Level Contributor
159 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Where are you going and why?

I am staying at the Iberostar Del Mar 9/3-9/8...6 more days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Woo hoo!!!!

-Price, it cost us only 1750.00 for 2 pp AI.

-Anyways, I have stayed at both cheaper and more expensive AI hotels. I feel this hotel is more on the cheaper side but had exactly what we wanted. Huge pool, beach, nice size rooms. We like to get out and explore PDC and Cancun so we will not be there all the time.

-I am picky about food so the better food or cheaper does not make a difference for me. It's all foreign to me so it does not matter the quality.

-We love to snorkle and relax so I thought this was the best for us.

-The beach from what I here is a bit rougher with rocks and seaweed. This does not bother me since I have a home at the Jersey Shore and the water there is always rough and dirty. I think I can handle it there. I'm used to it.

All places have some people that like or dislike it. I am going to make the best of my vacation and keep an open mind and have as much fun as I can. I also understand that food is not the same as here so I am not expecting Wolfgang Puck food.

Philadelphia, Pa
Level Contributor
159 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Where are you going and why?

I am staying at the Iberostar Del Mar 9/3-9/8...6 more days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Woo hoo!!!!

-Price, it cost us only 1750.00 for 2 pp AI.

-Anyways, I have stayed at both cheaper and more expensive AI hotels. I feel this hotel is more on the cheaper side but had exactly what we wanted. Huge pool, beach, nice size rooms. We like to get out and explore PDC and Cancun so we will not be there all the time.

-I am picky about food so the better food or cheaper does not make a difference for me. It's all foreign to me so it does not matter the quality.

-We love to snorkle and relax so I thought this was the best for us.

-The beach from what I here is a bit rougher with rocks and seaweed. This does not bother me since I have a home at the Jersey Shore and the water there is always rough and dirty. I think I can handle it there. I'm used to it.

All places have some people that like or dislike it. I am going to make the best of my vacation and keep an open mind and have as much fun as I can. I also understand that food is not the same as here so I am not expecting Wolfgang Puck food.

Wayne, New Jersey
Level Contributor
240 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Where are you going and why?

Going to Copacabana Nov. 15th for one week.

WHY? We were there about 2 years ago and everyone loved it so much they insisted I book the same place. Loved the Beautiful beach, Large pool, Beautiful Smaller size resort, Has everything we need to have a fantastic vacation. No towel games needed, enough shade for those of us who burn easily, Dive shop on site (a big plus for us). Great entertainment and Staff.

Can't wait to go........................

CT
Level Contributor
2,125 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where are you going and why?

IB Lindo in 2/2007 - 7 nights

We chose this because we have stayed at Sandos twice and wanted to try a new AI. I chose this resort based on we love the AI route and we wanted an awesome beach/pools/activities for our 10 year old son and ourselves too! Other perks:

very good reviews

AC ala carte restaurants each night of our stay

very family oriented

20 minutes south of airport

photos look gorgeous

plenty of shade cabanas on the beach

I will miss the ocean views from the room and pools but the Lindo fit the bill in all our other requirements. The Barcelo was a close second.

This is a great topic because people choose a resort for their priorities not others. When someone says they "LOVED" a resort I want to know why and what made them choose it. For example many people choose a resort with the priority of the proximity of the distance to town. That is not our priority.

Looking forward to reading more posts.

STL
Level Contributor
314 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where are you going and why?

We chose the IB* Tucan for our vacation in November. We chose this resort based on reviews on this site, as well as friends recommendations. We want to be closer to PDC, as well as having a nice beach.

We stayed at the Lindo last year and really loved the resort, just didn't care for the beach as much or how far it was from PDC. We like running into town and don't want to have to spend $20 plus a tip, or be on a schedule for the shuttle.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
525 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where are you going and why?

Hello

We are going to Iberostar Paraiso Del Mar Sept 7th-14th (9days away) We stayed here in Sept last year and really enjoyed it...This resort has more bad reviews then good reviews but I tend to take things with a grain of salt when it comes to that stuff....some people just expect more than others......We are just content with not working.....LOL.....I had a great time and am looking forward to it more this year than last...............................Happy Vacation!!

CT
Level Contributor
2,125 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where are you going and why?

Sammy,

What's nice about returning to the same place again is that you already know the lay of the land and you can really get into your vacation mode even quicker than the first year. We found this to be true our second year at Sandos.

Did you think about upgrading to the Lindo this time or not? I want to check out the Del Mar when we are there because it was more affordable than the Lindo. I want to see if we really use all the perks at the Lindo or if for a future trip we'd be equally happy at the Del Mar. Both sound awesome to me.

San Diego
Level Contributor
386 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Where are you going and why?

We will be at the Shangri La because of the cabanas, great beach, proximity to town, and of course the relaxation.