We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Barcelo Maya.....Water depth?

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ft. Worth
Level Contributor
1,143 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Barcelo Maya.....Water depth?

The water appears to be pretty shallow for quite a ways out from all of the pictures that I have seen of the beach.

1. Are there deep parts?

2. How far out before it starts getting deeper?

I am trying to decide whether or not to bring snorkeling vests.

South Jersey shore
Level Contributor
276 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Barcelo Maya.....Water depth?

Bring the vests for snorkeling. At the peir--its over your head(6-7 feet)...and if you swim out to the coral island near the peir, its also over your head. We used arm-swimmies for our daughter(age 9) for snorkeling.

Its fairly shallow at the beach..however if you want to swim out to snorkel where the off-shore reef is(100+ yards), it will be deeper(6-8-10) feet.

HAVE FUN! We loved it there.

Ft. Worth
Level Contributor
1,143 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Barcelo Maya.....Water depth?

Thanks newmom! I always try to wear a snorkel vest so as not damage any of the coral, but I thought I might look foolish if the water was only 3 to 4 ft. deep. Thanks again, I almost left the vests out of the suitcase.

bc
8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Barcelo Maya.....Water depth?

hi there, we snorkeled at the barcelo, never used a vest and went out the the end of the pier, if you are not a strong swimmer wear a vest, though you can rent them as well.... just to let you know the food is great here..... great time.

4. Re: Barcelo Maya.....Water depth?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 August 2009, 08:18