We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cozumel for a day...what's there?

Minnesota
Level Contributor
894 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Cozumel for a day...what's there?

Will be going to Mexico for the first time, Playa del Carmen, specifically. Have heard that we can take a ferry to Cozumel, which sounds great. However, I don't know a thing about Cozumel. Can anyone describe it and make suggestions what they would do for a day in Cozumel? Also, approximately how much is an adult fare?

Toronto
Level Contributor
105 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Cozumel for a day...what's there?

I have read that the ferry is $22USD per person round trip.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
894 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cozumel for a day...what's there?

But what is there? Beach? Shopping? Snorkeling? Just wondering what the attraction is.....

columbus ohio
Level Contributor
5,458 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cozumel for a day...what's there?

Lots of nice shopping, if you want a beach day, take a cab (quite cheap) to the other side of the Island, very quiet and remote, nice beaches

Wiltshire, U.K.
Level Contributor
3,768 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Cozumel for a day...what's there?

Firstly... someone might be able to correct this if I'm wrong but i think it is best to buy a one way ferry ticket because there are two ferry companies and if you buy a return you are limited to travelling back on that company's ferry. if you buy a single you can just turn up at the dock whenever you want and catch the next one back. It doesn't cost any more for two singles than for a return.

And what is there to do at the other end? Well, this is copied and pasted from my trip report, (not my hotel review). We went in May. As you'll see... there are a couple of things I didn't like about Cozumel and some thongs I LOVED!

Monday... Took the ferry over to Cozumel.

This was a fabulous day. One of our best.

The main town near the ferry dock is very touristy. This bit was not so great. Lots of shops but you do tend to feel a bit hassled. The shop keepers will simply not take 'no' for an answer. I wanted to look in the window of a jewellery shop and the shopkeeper would not let me look in peace. I eventually got so peed off with him that I said 'If you don't stop talking and let me look I will walk away'. He promptly scuttled off around the corner and, peeping round it, carried on bugging to me from there. "Come inside. Much cheaper than walmart". Actually, it was quite funny.

After a stroll around the town we decided to follow Canuck's advice and rent a car.

Wow! I'm so glad we did.

What a giggle driving on the 'wrong' side of the road. ("Darren you're going to hit the curb... Darren, you're going to hit the curb... DARREN...", CRUNCH!)

Cozumel is absolutely beautiful. And the other side of the island was just deserted. Huge crashing ocean waves on one side of the road. A jungle of palm trees as far as the eye can see on the other. Amazing!

The sea was soooo blue, the sand was soooo white and the palm trees were sooo...., well, actually they were a bit brown and Wilma-ed. I think they were hit pretty hard out there, but nevertheless it was stunning. I could happily have spent the whole week there.

Stopped at a little road side bar overlooking the ocean for a drink. Got a bit confused with the pounds/pesos/dollars convertion and tried to pay 500 pesos for a 5 dollar bar bill.

The man was so kind. He could easily have taken the money but he returned it as soon as he realised our mistake.

What's more he then invited me round the back, 'to stroke his creature'.

Well, it's a pretty good offer for a girl like me so of course I accepted.

Turns out it was a strange little mammal with a long tail and a snuffly nose. Cute.... but I couldn't tell you what it was.

On our return to the ferry dock we discovered we had missed the 5 O'clock ferry by just a couple of minutes.

I'm so glad we did. Had a great little meal in the main square... (I had the old TA favourite 'Lime Soup', ("I've got to have it... it's from TA"). It was delicious... So much better than the stuff I made at home.

And then we watched the sunset over Playa before catching the ferry home in the moonlight. (I don't think you see amazing sunsets like this IN Playa because you're facing the wrong way).

All in all it was a lovely day but hiring a car to explore those deserted beaches was definately the highlight.

Wiltshire, U.K.
Level Contributor
3,768 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Cozumel for a day...what's there?

'...some thongs I LOVED!'

Errrm, major typo!

Forgive me.

Embarrass, Minnesota
Level Contributor
5,763 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cozumel for a day...what's there?

Had this all typed and then the computer went "zappo". Anyway the gist of it is that it is more of the same as in Playa. Prices are better in Playa. Mayan ruins are better on the mainland.

Pick up some trinkets if you like, find a nice little beachside restaurant and forget about life. Then climb back on the ferry.

Recommend to go south ...not north. Check out the lighthouse area...think several beaches/restaurants on the way. Stay away from the scooters. Heard golf carts are ok but haven't used one but would be afraid they wouldn't make the trip both ways.

This is where the cruise ships land...mucho touristas!

East side is rocky and more secluded. Got some pictures on my website... www.thatec.com

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
44,116 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cozumel for a day...what's there?

All good information , Lilly. And you are correct, do not buy a round trip ferry ticket--it only restricts you options at no savings.

And one correction on Mn's post--no golf carts available. And no way you would want one in the hectic traffic. If you need a vehicle, rent a car. The only safe choice!

And Lilly, got a laugh out of the "you're going to hit the curb"--exactly what happens to me in England!

Embarrass, Minnesota
Level Contributor
5,763 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cozumel for a day...what's there?

Oops ....sorry about that ...I guess it is Isla Mujeres that has the carts.

Kansas City
Level Contributor
437 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cozumel for a day...what's there?

My husband and I always try to head to Cozumel once on our vacation. My fondest memory was when we rented a car, and headed South. We stopped at Chakanaab and had some pretty great snorkeling. We stayed for a bit and then headed south again. We stopped at a few other places and had the best shrimp fajitas I've ever tasted in my life. It truly is a great place to venture, but I wouldn't waste your time in town trying to shop.

10. Re: Cozumel for a day...what's there?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2009, 22:16