We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Secrets Capri or VIM....Trying to decide

canada
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Topic
Secrets Capri or VIM....Trying to decide

Looking to book for the middle of September and can't decide.

Is there anyone who has been to both and can offer any advice or comparisons.

Bed comfort is important, prefer a soft bed.

What the beer in the mini fridges in the room and at the bars?

How's the house wines?

Is there lobster?....without additional fees?

Thanks for the help.

Peace

bayou lafourche la.
Level Contributor
515 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Secrets Capri or VIM....Trying to decide

Been to both recently. If a nice beach is a must go to vim. Capri had the worst beach by far of the ten resorts we have been to.We were at Capri two years ago and Vim last year. Capri is a great resort with a lousy beach. Vim is a great resort with a great beach.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
23,623 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Secrets Capri or VIM....Trying to decide

I haven't stayed at Secrets Capri but have stayed at a different resort in the Secrets chain, Silversands. I've stayed at the VIM five times.

The beds at both SSS and the VIM were great; absolutely no complaints on that score at all (and I tend to prefer a softer bed too).

Beer at the VIM is Dos XX and Coors. Sorry, I can't remember what they had at Secrets but my husband didn't have to resort to drinking Corona, so it must've been ok.

House wines at both are Chilean; I can't remember what brand though.

Lobster - at the VIM it's additional charge unless you buy the Privilege Package which will run you an extra US$60 per person, per day. I can't remember the policy at Secrets.

Secrets Capri has a much smaller footprint and has a reputation for being romantic but a bit staid. I've seen many reports indicating that the beach at SC isn't great. I've also seen comments that the resort is getting a bit "tired" and is in need of refurbishing.

The VIM has a lovely (and huge) beach area. It's a good sized resort at some 530 rooms but it's spread out, which means that even at full capacity, it never feels crowded. The main pool at the VIM is good for socializing and if it gets too rowdy, you can retire to the serenity of the Golden Pool.

They're both good resorts with a solid repeat clientele; I don't think you'll go wrong at either - it just comes down to which one appeals to you the most.

Saint Peters...
Level Contributor
732 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Secrets Capri or VIM....Trying to decide

Hands down, VIM.

I know there's a lot of Secrets Capri fans here, but my personal experience at Secrets Capri was a nightmare. We had horrible service from both the staff and management, horrible beach, etc. I could go on and on. But...I know that our problems with the service and management are NOT the norm....or they wouldn't be in business, and there wouldn't be so many people who like the resort. However, things got so bad, that I will not return even if I know that what we experience was not normal.

VIM has a much better beach, better food, and better service. It's a little further away from town, and that was the only down side for us.

Peoria, Illinois
Level Contributor
43 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Secrets Capri or VIM....Trying to decide

Hi there! We have been to both. We went to VIM 3 years ago and Secrets Capri last year. We love them both for different reasons. VIM is a large resort with a good beach, several pools, good service and good food. In my opinion VIM is more social, since it is bigger. We had a great time! Secrets Capri is much, much smaller and has excellent service, wonderful beds and has a much smaller beach and wonderful food! We found Secrets Capri to be so special we consider it "home" and are returning in September. It is the only resort we have ever considered to visit twice. It really depends on what you are looking for. Secrets is more romantic but it also needs a bit of TLC. VIM is newer, I believe, and needs less TLC. The staff at Secrets Capri is second to none and we felt like a king and queen while we were there. We are looking forward to returning! In the room mini bar at Capri was Corona and they had several different beers at the bars. Sorry, I can't remember specifics and can not remember what VIM offers. House wine was fine at both resorts. You really have a great dilemma You will have a great time at either location! Good luck and have a wonderful time! Oh - I believe lobster is extra at both resorts.

Calgary
Level Contributor
996 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Secrets Capri or VIM....Trying to decide

Did you decide yet canuck? We too are trying to decide between these two resorts!

North Pole, New York
Level Contributor
7,214 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Secrets Capri or VIM....Trying to decide

Believe, it's nice to read a response from someone who has actually been to both and gives a nicely balanced comparison. Even though you prefer Capri your comparison is very helpful!

Bloomfield...
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
3,602 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Secrets Capri or VIM....Trying to decide

Some great advice above.

We were booked at Capri one year and as I read more and more about it, I switched to SSS. For many years now, people have been reporting that Capri is run down and needs some TLC and the beach is not all that nice.

The VIM offers top shelf alcohol, a large footprint, no reservations for dinner, great beach, great swimming in the ocean, very friendly staff, tons of activity at night, lively pool scene and quiet pool.

Good luck and have fun with it.

North Pole, New York
Level Contributor
7,214 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Secrets Capri or VIM....Trying to decide

We chose SCR for our March 2015 trip based on excellent reviews from both first-time visitors and guests who return there each year. The smallness of the property appeals to us, and many of the reports on condition issues are very minor to most guests so no concerns there.

VIM sounds like a great resort for those who like the larger properties with lots of people, and SSS sounds like a great choice for those looking for a more chic or "happening" property. Based on the many reviews we've read on SCR that looks like our kind of place but won't be for everyone of course.

Calgary
Level Contributor
996 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Secrets Capri or VIM....Trying to decide

The only negatives we can see for VIM is no ala carte for breakfast/lunch, size of resort (maybe too big?)and the "disconnect" between the resort and the beach (although sometimes a plus!). We live in a landlocked city and love seeing the ocean from many vantage points!

The only negatives we can see for SC is the small beach area/water color, size of resort (maybe too small?) and it's an older property.

Myersville, Maryland
Level Contributor
255 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Secrets Capri or VIM....Trying to decide

LOVED Secrets and can wait to go back. Yes some wear BUT you would have to be on the look-out for it. Same as on some cruise ships. BUT the service/food more than makes up for it.