We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Expensive airfare?

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
160 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Expensive airfare?

Is it just me or does airfare from the US to CUN seem abnormally expensive? I've gone the past two years in early Oct/late Sept and this year I'm going at the end of Oct. Airfare right now is nearly double the rate for previous years, Anyone else experiencing this?

Great Smoky...
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
3,324 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Expensive airfare?

It's gone up but not sure about double; probably just seems like it. IMHO, use Kayak as a search engine to keep on eye on fares but buy your ticket directly from the airlines. The prices are (usually) a little lower. Tuesday's seem to be the lowest rates (in my case) and buy as early as you can.

This year's tickets (for me) were actually lower because I have been playing the ticket game for so long I was on it or just pure lucky. Read the fine print: ie, baggage charges. Calculate this into your price carefully because it does affect your total.

Whatever you do - Have A Blast!

West Chester, PA
Level Contributor
4,197 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Expensive airfare?

We always go in October too and it is really high right now out of Phila too. I keep tracking it and it doesn't budge.

Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
373 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Expensive airfare?

We are going in October as well. I bought our tickets in May at the lowest I have seen them out of Denver. Since then they have gone way up.

Monterey, California
Level Contributor
673 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Expensive airfare?

Bought tickets, in June, for September. Right now, each ticket is running $200.00 more than in June. I am betting it will go down again. Kayak is where I do my research, too.

North Pole, New York
Level Contributor
7,415 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Expensive airfare?

As you probably know you can find significant ($ hundreds) fare price swings just by checking rates on different days, and by checking different departure dates. As noted the best prices can usually be found with departures Mon or Tues but it really pays to research well before you're forced to buy.

I'm seeing prices of $544pp for early March from upstate NY to CUN w/ 1 stop (very nice flights both ways), and fares from $680 - $850 in low season....so ya just don't know...

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
24,155 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Expensive airfare?

It's not just airfare that's gone up, hotel/resort prices seem to be climbing too - and not just in Mexico. My other happy place, Las Vegas, is still a good deal comparatively speaking but hotel prices seem to have rocketed in the last few months.

Demand is up all over and that pushes prices to increase. It's my belief that this is because the US is finally pulling out of the poop that hit the fan back in 2008 - so, really, that has to be considered a good thing, right?

North Pole, New York
Level Contributor
7,415 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Expensive airfare?

Airlines have become much leaner to compete, and that in turn has created demand for fewer seats which relates to higher prices.

Puerto Aventuras...
Level Contributor
124 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Expensive airfare?

Depending where you are from, Southwest is now a good less expensive option. They are not in the flight search apps/websites, so you have to go to their website.

Greensboro, North...
Level Contributor
60 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Expensive airfare?

I bought tickets last Feb. to travel this past July. I am now looking for decent fares for next summer. What I am finding is about 30% higher than I found six months ago. If I don't find a decent price, we just won't go. I don't like feeling like I am being gouged. Fuel prices are down, the airlines profits are up. It is greed- "let's see what they will pay".

North Pole, New York
Level Contributor
7,415 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Expensive airfare?

Current fuel prices have nothing to do with current airfares.

We also don't like paying higher prices but that's never going to go away so we do a lot of research and deal with it...

Edited: 16 August 2014, 15:50