We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommendations for Tour Companies

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
12 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Recommendations for Tour Companies

Hi Ladies and Gentlemen,

I am travelling to Playa Del Carmen with my girlfriend on October 5th till October 10th. We're staying in the Iberostar Paraiso Del Mar. I am looking for some recommendations of tour companies to book events/tours with and also things to see.

This is our 1st vacation in two years so we want to relax for a bit, but obviously we want to adventure too.

Thanks for your understanding.

Wayne

Seattle
Level Contributor
1,438 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommendations for Tour Companies

Keep in mind you are not really staying in Playa Del Carmen most activities will require a tour company or renting a car (recommended and do your own tour) as taxis will be too expensive. Best off to book tours at the resort. Do not book online in advance and more than likely you will be committed to that day and if the weather is bad that could ruin the experience

Ontario
Level Contributor
7,186 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommendations for Tour Companies

XathrasManchester..what kinds of things do you like to do?

Ruins - Tulum, Coba, Chicken Itza, Ek Balam

Parks - Xcaret, Xel-Ha, Xplor

Adventure stuff like ATVs and zip line

Cenotes

Catamaran cruises

Snorkel

Shopping

Visit different destinations like Akumal, Puerto Morelos, Playa del Carmen, Cozumel, Isla Mujeres

If you can tell us what your interests are that will help us as there's a lot do in that area. I agree to wait til you get there to book something.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
10,819 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommendations for Tour Companies

What interests you? As you will be there for a short time you may want to schedule a couple of half day excursions on your own via collectives (local vans) or taxis.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
41,526 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Recommendations for Tour Companies

We found taxis to be reasonable

e.g. a cab from Playa to your resort is under 100 pesos

www.playadelcarmentours.com/taxi-fares.htm

Now it is common for taxis to charge more to pick up fares at some resorts so know your prices. Or walk outside of your resort gates and pick up a taxi - but confirm the price before getting in - the price is per taxi, not per person

Experts recommend you take taxis, colectivos, or if in Playa, buses to major tour spots like Xel-Ha, XPLOR, Xcaret

Here is a great FAQ on the types of transportation and tours

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g499445-i9177-k7252…

Edited: 16 August 2014, 04:09
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
12 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Recommendations for Tour Companies

Thanks for the posts and also the links.

I would be looking at the ruins and the parks mainly. Not really interested ziplines etc.

However, if I could find a good snorkeling option that would be nice. Enjoyed that whilst in the Dominican

Seattle
Level Contributor
1,438 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Recommendations for Tour Companies

Vancouversundog - your advice is very misleading the current Published taxi rate from the Iborostar Paraiso is 225 pesos ($17.21 each way), finding a taxi that will only charge 100 pesos would be like finding a needle in a haystack if at all. 100 pesos ($7.65) barely pays for the fuel at aprox $4 per gallon, it is a 20 miniute + drive at 20 Miles to 5th ave.

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
2,984 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Recommendations for Tour Companies

Have a look at the tours offered by Edventures and Yucatreks if you are looking for small group tours, which I recommend rather than the big bus tours offered at the resort. No comparison. You can also arrange your own private tour to see what you want to see. You can also get around easily by bus, collectivo and taxi.

I suggest you get a mapchick map so you can see where everything is, It's more than just a map, sort of guidebook/map. I still order current ones to see what's new. It really can help you plan your trip.

To WIBS excellent list I'd add Sian Ka'an biosphere. Community tours does an excellent Muyil Forest and Float tour in that biosphere. There's also the Rio Lagartos biosphere where the salt flats are and the flamingos nest, but only if you are up in that area.

There's so much to do and see. Have fun planning!

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
10,819 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Recommendations for Tour Companies

You may want to go to Akumal on your own (taxi or collective)and snorkel for free at Akumal Bay. Outstanding snorkeling with the turtles. There are dive shops there where you can rent equipment.

With all due respect re taxi charges. My friends were able to walk outside the Palladium and negotiate with taxis for about half of what was posted and the driver waited for them and gave them a very good RT price.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
41,526 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Recommendations for Tour Companies

Cedar: You are correct

I misread the taxi fares

It should be 225-250 pesos

10. Re: Recommendations for Tour Companies

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 August 2015, 05:17