We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whats the best weather forecasting site for PDC?

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
NORWICH
Level Contributor
140 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Whats the best weather forecasting site for PDC?

I've found several, but the information conflicts!

wigan
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Whats the best weather forecasting site for PDC?

i wouldn't bother, every site will say rain of some sort for the next weeks due it being hurricane season... that's what I was told and to just ignore them

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
22,846 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Whats the best weather forecasting site for PDC?

The only forecasting site I pay attention to is this one - http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/ If a significant weather system is headed to the region, it can result in flight cancellations and delays and that's the sort of thing I want to know about.

The weather at this time of year is typically hot and sunny. If it rains at all, it's usually a brief, heavy shower, often late at night. If you're unlucky, you may experience a day or so of rain. If you're REALLY unlucky, it could rain for 5 or so days consistently but that is NOT the usual weather pattern. Coming from the UK, I suspect you'll be here for two weeks or more. That being the case, I would say that the odds of your entire vacation being a washout would be pretty much nil.

Edited: 18 August 2014, 13:22
Great Smoky...
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
2,788 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Whats the best weather forecasting site for PDC?

NOAA is an excellent site. Here's a link to other popular sites:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g150812-i23-k77296…

NORWICH
Level Contributor
140 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Whats the best weather forecasting site for PDC?

Ok thanks for the links.

Playa del Carmen...
Level Contributor
5,001 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Whats the best weather forecasting site for PDC?

This is the one I find the most accurate...

http://www.wunderground.com/

Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
8,485 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Whats the best weather forecasting site for PDC?

Agreed: http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

Only site worth paying much attention to in terms of predictions for this region, at least during the season when it's active.

B.C. Canada
Level Contributor
8,773 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Whats the best weather forecasting site for PDC?

nhc.noaa is fine for tropical disturbances but OP was looking for weather forecasting sites and as far as I can see nhc.noaa does not do that for Cancun or area. I like myforecast.com/bin/expanded_forecast_15day.m… for day to day.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
41,572 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Whats the best weather forecasting site for PDC?

Here are some great storm tracking websites

tripadvisor.ca/…58730017

Remember, there are many forecasting models out there and some weather forecasting sites rely on only one, thus you can get varied results

The hurricane sites look at all these models and predict the most likely

Great Smoky...
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
2,788 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Whats the best weather forecasting site for PDC?

NOAA is an excellent source for satellite imagery regarding water vapor and countless other data. While it is true that noaa does not lay out a temperature and rain "prediction" in a graph like underground or weather.com; what it does do is show (in detail and in real time) what is going on anywhere in the world.

The Caribbean base maps show everything from Mexico City to PDC to Africa. Forecasts that rely on last year's data or this year's "guess" IMHO are not as reliable. The Yucatan maps show the vapor at different altitudes and where large accumulations are; and if they are rising or declining. All a reliable precursor to a rain event. It is not merely a tropical depression website by all means.

I am not, in any way, saying or suggesting the other sites are wrong or useless, but we owe it to each other to let our fellow members know what is out there. Then let them make up their own minds what works best for them. For me, I look at more than just one site and make my own prediction. It's usually more reliable than looking 10 days out, at a graph, to see someone predicted 90 degrees for a high, 75 degrees for a low and a 50% chance of rain lol. Just sayin'

Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
8,485 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Whats the best weather forecasting site for PDC?

"nhc.noaa is fine for tropical disturbances but OP was looking for weather forecasting sites and as far as I can see nhc.noaa does not do that for Cancun or area."

I do no disagree with that, Bob! But I stick by my answer. I trust this will indicate my level of respect for and appreciation of other weather forecasting sites, when it comes to this region. :-) As well as an indication of how consistent the weather usually is in this region, if no tropical disturbance is around.

Edited: 19 August 2014, 17:08