We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions please?

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
23 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestions please?

I've been reading for about 3 hours now and I still haven't been able to make any decisions and I'm on information overload so help is appreciated.

We are a 50's couple looking for an all-inclusive adults only resort. Would love to be close enough to walk to 5th Ave., activities and shopping but a great beach is important too. Budget is open depending on accommodations but we would really love a more tropical, typical Mexico type feel instead of posh opulence. We don't need a huge amount of activities, really want to relax by the pool or on the beach and maybe do a little snorkeling.

We went to Grand Palladium several years ago with the kids and enjoyed it but would like to find something closer to town and adults only. I must admit I am a bit confused by the different levels of service that you can pay extra for like "enhanced" or "excellent" or "privileged"? Can someone explain what that is all about? Is that just room upgrades or separate areas or restaurants or what?

Thanks in advance for suggestions.

Playa del Carmen...
Level Contributor
5,001 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions please?

I would reccomend the Royal Playa Del Carmen but is is definitely not tropical as it is right in town. The grounds are beautiful and extremely well maintained. It is one of the ferw AI adults only in Playa. It is steps to 5th ave and has first class service and amenities. All rooms with 2 person jacuzzi tubs as well as gourmet dining and top shelf liquor. We have been 10+ times and love it here !! Perfect service and location.

Red Bank, New Jersey
Level Contributor
194 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions please?

I would agree with ROMY. The Royal PDC is the best fit for your stay. The other resort might be the Royal Hideaway in Playacar but it is a lot further to 5th Avenue then the Royal.

Texas
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
4,528 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions please?

If you want to be within walking distance of 5th it greatly limits your choices. The Royal as listed above is really your main option. Paradisus La Perla is north a bit and Royal Hideaway is south in Playacar. However, the adults only all inclusives tend to be all higher end resorts and are opulent and less tropical feeling sometimes.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
831 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions please?

If you aren't bothered about lots of entertainment then you should consider the Iberostar Tucan.

We stayed there for 2 weeks last year and it was lovely. Had more of the Mexican feel, nothing high rise. The food we enjoyed very much and everything was included, from shrimp to fillet steak. I too get confused by the priveleged systems and much preferred it that way, everything behind the bar was included too!

The beach is gorgeous there and you can walk down it into playa del carmen (takes about 25/30 min) or a taxi is about $6.

The rooms are lovely and it has a jungle setting so we had monkeys and other wildlife on our balcony every day.

I'd say it ticks many of your boxes. It isnt adults only but there were hardly any children that we noticed as it isnt a resort specifically tailored to children or families and the facilities for such are basic. It has some activities through the day and a show on a night, sometimes they do a beach bbq. Nothing majorly in your face but we are in our twenties and still enjoyed it. It isn't the most "hopping" resort, but a very nice setting to relax.

Edited: 18 August 2014, 21:27
GTA
Level Contributor
478 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions please?

RPDC is a great resort but the beach is not great. There are notably better options if you want a great beach. The beach at RPDC is small, no palapas, fairly crowded and busy.

For true AO (no kids on the entire resort) and great beach close to 5th Ave it is really only Royal Hideaway, which is a top rated choice. Very nice deep deep beach, not near as crowded and some actual trees as well. It is only if a 15-20 minute walk to 5th ave so I wouldn't call it a lot further myself. One can walk the Playacar beach or road to 5th avenue (at the cozumel ferry) from the resort, so there is a fast and shaded option, or slower and beachfront. There are also taxis if one doesn't want to walk every time. RHP rates very highly. It is a small resort too so not as crowded as RPDC and other local resorts. I've been to both RHP and RPDC. RHP is definitely better if beach is important to you.

If you don't mind kids on parts of the resort there are some options with adults only sections in Playacar as well. Check out the other playacar resorts to see if they have that option. Read reviews. I know Sandos playacar is cheaper and has an AO section. It interests me because it is cheaper, still on the best beach and being a little further from 5th it will have a little less foot traffic.

http://www.cancunmap.com/playacar-hotels.html

Ontario
Level Contributor
1,740 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestions please?

I think you might like the Royal Hideaway. Actually I am just in the process of booking our 8th trip there to celebrate our 35th anniversary.

We have enjoyed staying at a number of Adult Only resorts in the area, including Royal Playa del Carmen, Secrets Capri, El Dorado Maroma, Excellence Riviera Cancun, to name a few, but we keep coming back to Royal Hideaway. We love the smaller footprint, quieter atmosphere, lovely tropical garden setting, excellent food and service, and especially the beautiful beach! It's about a 25 minute walk, or about a $7 or $8 cab ride to 5th Ave.

You might want to check it out.

7. Re: Suggestions please?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2015, 07:17