We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Playacar - Playa del carmen

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
chester
Level Contributor
115 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Playacar - Playa del carmen

Hi,

We are looking at hotels for Mexico and I have decided on the Playa del Carmen area, now I have also come across playacar? I am confused as to which is the best one to stay in or are they both the same. We are looking at various hotels such as the Sandos Eco, sandos playacar beach, the rius and the iberostars, Royal Hacienda any really along that stretch that are near the town. We want to be able to walk to town rather than take taxi's. I have looked at some of the hotels and also read some of the restaurants don't have air con which in July or august would not be very good with the humidity, We want a good all inclusive family hotel at least a 4 star with good facilities and on a nice beach, I've also seen the Playacar Palace but if can find a cheaper one that is nearly as good as this then I would like to do that rather than spend the extra. Any help appreciated. Thanks x

chester
Level Contributor
115 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Playacar - Playa del carmen

I've also come across the Viva wyndham hotels too, are these any good?

Bryans Road
Level Contributor
3,964 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Playacar - Playa del carmen

Playacar is a gated multi-use community immediately south of of PDC. Many of the resorts you listed are in Playacar. Great beach. We often stay at the RPM and it's about a 30 minute walk to PDC by street or beach. Enjoy!

Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
8,479 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Playacar - Playa del carmen

Playacar, a gated community, is home to a number of larger, all-inclusive beachfront properties. You might think of it as a sort of suburb of Playa del Carmen (a very close one). It has essentially no regular commercial area — everything is basically either in one of the resorts or is private housing. Playa del Carmen by contrast is loaded with shops, restaurants, bars, plazas and so forth, especially along 5th Ave. The great majority of properties in Playa del Carmen are non-all-inclusive (that is to say, they are regular hotels or condos).

chester
Level Contributor
115 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Playacar - Playa del carmen

Ok so 5th Avenue is in playa del carmen? Are there also shops and cafes in playacar?

Which hotels do you recommend?

Playa del Carmen...
Level Contributor
5,001 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Playacar - Playa del carmen

5th ave is in Playa Del Carmen.

If you want to be right in Playa Del Carmen then there really are only a couple to choose from. If you need a family resort then the Gran Porto Real is a good choice or for the Adults Only version would be the Royal Playa Del Carmen. Playacar has many resorts to choose from and it would vary from 15-40 minute walk into 5th ave. We stay at the Royal for its location and excellent food/service.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,885 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Playacar - Playa del carmen

Only a small shopping center in Playacar with a Starbucks. Center is almost across from the Royal Hideaway. You can walk into 5th avenue from Playacar resorts in anywhere from 10 to 30 minutes. You can even walk into Playa via the beach from Playacar. The Riu chain has a number of resorts. Either of the Riu Palaces would be a good choice. Royal Hideaway is excellent but at a price.

minneapolis, mn
Level Contributor
776 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Playacar - Playa del carmen

The Playacar Palace is at the northern edge of Playacar and therefore right adjacent to Playa del Carmen. You can walk to 5th Avenue and all of the restaurants and shopping areas very easily.

chester
Level Contributor
115 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Playacar - Playa del carmen

Ok so most of within walking distance, no more than 15/20 mins really. Does that leave the sandos Eco or the viva wyndhams out?

B.C. Canada
Level Contributor
8,772 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Playacar - Playa del carmen

You really need to check out the prices from the various resorts as you're all over the $ map trying to compare Vivas to Playacar Palace, Sandos Playacar, Iberostar or the Rius in Playacar. IMHO they're just not in the same category. Not 20 minutes, Sandos in Playacar which is the furthest south is a good 30 minutes. Myself, I couldn't do it in that time. Viva Azteca might be 20.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
4,718 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Playacar - Playa del carmen

Sandos eco is about 20 mins north of playa del carmen and not in playacar. The viva is in playacar