We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Discount sites... REALLY discounted?

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
113 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Discount sites... REALLY discounted?

I have checked and checked, but I really do not see that there is a difference between booking directly with a hotel (VIM) and going through Orbitz, Cheaptickets, Bookit, etc. I mean, these sites say they are discounting the rates, but when I go directly to the hotel site, it is the SAME rate.

Has anyone else found this to be true, or am I just not seeing something?

Great Smoky...
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
2,725 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Discount sites... REALLY discounted?

IMHO go directly to the hotel for the best deal and go directly to the airline for the best ticket.

Besides, the hotel can tell you what dates are really open and the airlines have all of their flights posted; the discount sites do not always list every single flight. If you are lucky enough to get a reservation person that understands your concern with these price differences then you might be pleasantly surprised with the deals that they can offer. The nightmare stories about the hotel says one thing but the discount site that you bought thru say something else is reason enough, for me, to stick with the hotel.

For me this is the rule but I have seen others comment swearing by the discounted sites. At one time I was checking both (just in case) but found myself wasting time. With recent changes in baggage fees it's best, if for no other reason, to check the airline direct because some bags are free while others are $25 or $50, that alone can impact your total cost. And that is not reflected on a discount site.

It's just my opinion but whatever you do - Have A Blast!

Edited: 19 August 2014, 20:34
Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
113 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Discount sites... REALLY discounted?

That's exactly what I thought... I booked directly with the airlines... and the hotel.

But there are so many on TA that swear by the discount sites, I was wondering if I was missing something! I know those sites give "hotel" credits, but usually it is just an upsale tactic... they will cover part of their 'romantic' dinner and you still have to pay $100... or something like that.

Thanks for the confirmation.

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
12,453 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Discount sites... REALLY discounted?

Booking air plus hotel together is cheaper on Expedia for me, every single time, than booking directly with the airplane and the hotel separately. Every. Single.Time. Or we wouldn't book that way- but we usually end up with Expedia beating all others.

It may differ depending where you live, perhaps?

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
22,662 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Discount sites... REALLY discounted?

Ditto to what Rissask says.

Whenever I've booked "flight + hotel" through Expedia, the charges show up on my credit card separately so although Expedia only gives me a package price, when I review by cc statement, I can see exactly what I paid for the flight and what I paid for the hotel. I've always paid the going rate for the flight but have scored significant savings on the hotel.

Having said that, sometimes Expedia isn't the cheapest; sometimes package companies are a better deal. I shop around (a lot!) and when I see a price I'm happy with, I book it and don't look back - whether that's with the airline and hotel directly, Expedia or someone else.

Fresno, California
Level Contributor
3,157 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Discount sites... REALLY discounted?

I have also tried booking separately and have never found the price to be even close to the package price.

Bryans Road
Level Contributor
3,867 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Discount sites... REALLY discounted?

There are deals to be had through discounters. You need to stay current on promo codes and often have flexibility. I have a target budget and desired travel dates, if I can meet this criteria through my TA or by booking myself I'm happy. Prudent to check across the board to see what's competitive.

Chicago
Level Contributor
678 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Discount sites... REALLY discounted?

Normally I go for a package, either on my own or through a travel agent. But this year I really did save money booking separately. The hotel price was $600 cheaper using cheaptickets and their promo code than it was on the hotel website and the package difference was the same. But I'll always check out every option available and like Llisa, once I book, I never look back!

Great Smoky...
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
2,725 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Discount sites... REALLY discounted?

As a caveat I will say that when someone is booking an all inclusive near PDC or hotels in the hotel zonero in Cancun this is, more than likely, true for a package price. I am the type that shops for other options like a condo or house through homeaway.com or vrbo, or a 4 star hotel works for me, which puts me in something besides a huge venue. Everyone is different and I certainly was not knocking what the discounts do, or say they do, because if it works for some then that is exactly the answer.

In my case, flying from Knoxville (no direct flights) and wanting something different - I am saving a huge amount of money. That's just me

Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
373 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Discount sites... REALLY discounted?

Have you checked the cheaptickets mobile app? Looks like the prices for the Mobile deals might be cheaper than others.

bemidji minnesota
Level Contributor
7,120 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Discount sites... REALLY discounted?

For me, flying out of Minneapolis, Orbitz almost always gives me the best deal. I shop them all and Travelocity had a great deal once and I think I used Expedia three or four times. Otherwise it is Orbitz. I always save money with the package and I usually wait to book until I have a promo code also. When I check the prices of the hotels on their websites they are always way higher than I end up paying. I also think it depends on which airport you fly out of.