We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Riu resorts

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
braehead
Level Contributor
224 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Riu resorts

Hiya just read this on the riu webpage does anyone know anything about it Important Information, due to new goverment legislation all Riu Hotels Resorts in Mexico will be unable to receive cash payments in US dollars. All payments are now required in Mexican pesos in order to be received in the resort.The new regulation also indicates that it won´t be possible to provide currency exchange services in USD within the resort anymore, however this won´t affect the usage of USD through Traveler Checks nor Credit Card Payments. This new regulation will not affect transactions in other currencies. ATM available in the hotel to withdraw Mexican Pesos many thanks

B.C. Canada
Level Contributor
8,771 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Riu resorts

It's been that way for I think about 3 years now. As it said they'll still take travellers cheques or ccs. Couple years ago I could pay by cc in US$ or pesos. Just no US cash at reception. You can still tip the staff with US$ if you wish.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
282 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Riu resorts

Bob I'm curious if you know the reason behind this law. I had assumed incorrectly in my head that they would be unable to accept currency or exchange from any country at the hotel and was surprised to see that it was exclusively US dollars that are banned. Any idea why? Curious!

B.C. Canada
Level Contributor
8,771 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Riu resorts

Here's a pretty good explanation: …about.com/od/money-matters/qt/exchanging-do…

braehead
Level Contributor
224 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Riu resorts

Thanks very much for your replys what do you pay with on exiting the country pesos or dollars ? thanks again

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
1,197 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Riu resorts

Pesos for the departure tax:)

Vancouver
Level Contributor
4,718 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Riu resorts

Agree with bob about the reason for the usd thing. Theres also this in the international geo-political context which may also have a bit of traction:

currencytrading.net/features/…

Edited: 23 August 2014, 14:47
Oregon Coast, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,297 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Riu resorts

This "policy" does not seem to be enforced consistently around Mexico. This year we easily exchanged dollars for pesos in Mazatlan (at a bank), and in San Jose Del Cabo at the hotel. However, we have been turned down at some places. Best to assume that it will be enforced.

8. Re: Riu resorts

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 August 2015, 05:16