We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Royal Playa del Carmen experts..few questions please 😊

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
192 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Royal Playa del Carmen experts..few questions please 😊

If you are in the know and can answer any of my questions I will be most grateful. Thanks in advance.

1. Our reservations are for royal junior suite ocean view 1st week in Sept., what are the chances of upgrading once we arrive to OF?

2. I am a beach person but deferred to my husband as he wanted to be right in town and enjoy all the activities. Please tell me I won't be super disappointed in the beach. As long as the water is pretty and the sand is white and it's not smelly like some trip reports I've read I think it will be ok. Going with an open mind. Any day is a good day when you're on the beach instead of the office right?

3. Looking to go to Xel-Ha or Xcaret, anyone have a preference? Hoping to float around on tubes through caverns, snorkel, etc. Also we did take advice from the board and purchased biodegradable sunscreen.

4. Will be renting a car for the day to drive to Akumal and hoping to be lucky enough to snorkel with turtles. Has anyone done this? Tips/Suggestions? Have been to Yal-Ku Lagoon and Tulum but may do those again as well. Also took advice from board and ordered Map Chick maps of PDC area to help with our self guided sightseeing tour. Any advice on car rentals and other locations to see pretty beaches or good snorkeling locations.

5. Does The Royal do any parties/BBQ's on the beach? Or is beach too small/public for this.

And finally #6 How hard/difficult is it to reserve beach bed? I love the sun but have had surgery for melanoma and can't stay in the sun all day without some type of shade. I noticed there are no palapas on the beach so am a little concerned with finding some shade. This is a big one so any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys! Looking forward to your advice/suggestions.

Mercanti Viaggi
Sightseeing Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Scuba & Snorkeling, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Archaeology Tours
Explora Mexico Riviera Maya
Scuba & Snorkeling, Shark Diving, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Archaeology Tours
The Custom Tour by Rod Ratner
Scuba & Snorkeling, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Archaeology Tours
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
240 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Royal Playa del Carmen experts..few questions please 😊

The Royal in my opinion is a great resort, we have been five times and will be going again in March, we reserved a Master Suite

. I can answer a few questions but not all.

1) The beach is not huge but normally lots of chairs...the towel game is played. If you like walking you can go for miles.

2) You can try to upgrade but the oceanfont rooms go quickly.

3) The Cabanas are reserved for Master Suites , Presidential Suites and OFront. Can, t remember if swimups also get one If your in an Ocean View you do not get one of the reserved cabanas.. would need to try and get those cabanas that have no curtains perhaps pay the beachboy at the time of arrival and they will reserve for you or speak with the front desk. Hope this helps a bit

I have never seen the Royal put on a bbq for guests.

Edited: 24 August 2014, 20:05
Level Contributor
203 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Royal Playa del Carmen experts..few questions please 😊

Never stayed at the Royal sorry, but we stayed at the sister hotel Gran Porto Real. The location is great and I've heard nothing but good things about the Royal.

With regards to Akumal, I wouldn't bother renting a car. Just take a Collectivo. It's not too far.

I've snorkelled with the turtles twice. Once on my own (rented mask and fins in Akumal) and once as part of a Cenote excusrsion we took. You don't need to do this with a tour. Just follow the groups of people. The turtles are amazing. It is one of my favourite memories. Have a great trip!

Level Contributor
3,782 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Royal Playa del Carmen experts..few questions please 😊

We love the royal, it's a great resort in a location that is perfect for us. The sand is white, the water blue and of our combined 15 nights there we've only smelled a sulfur type of smell twice. It wasn't anything that bothered us.

They don't have any parties on the beach but they do have a nice jazz/steak/lobster dinner that they used to offer twice a week at $49pp which is great compared to what other resorts charge for that. They also used to have a white party on Tuesdays but I don't think they have that any longer.

There are more shaded beds on the beach than non-shaded if my memory is correct and we never had an issue finding one. If you upgrade to a master suite I believe those come with a reserved beach bed & since some of the master suites lost their good view due to the new resort being built I've heard that sometimes you can upgrade to those for cheap.

We've been to XelHa once & based on what you're wanting it sounds like a good fit. I also agree with the above comment about not renting a car unless you're dead set on exploring. The last time we inquired about a car rental the required insurance made a taxi the much cheaper option.

Playa del Carmen...
Level Contributor
5,001 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Royal Playa del Carmen experts..few questions please 😊

If you want a Cabana just ask Lopez the Beachtler and he will assist you in finding one. There is normally not difficult in finding one there,there are lots that are reserved but there are many that are not reserved as well. They do a steak/lobster dinner on the beach on Friday evenings I think was the night. See Lopez for this or your building concierge.

As for Akumal I would not rent a car I would personnally just use the ADO bus or a taxi to go and snorkel for the day. It is very easy to get around without a car here.

As for Xel Ha vs Xcaret depends what you want...Xel Ha is mostly just snorkelling where Xcaret has some culture as well as snorkelling and a zoo.

As far as upgrading you will be at the mercy of how busy the hotel is..this resort stays pretty full 12 months of the year but ask when you check in and if available they will give you a price for the upgrade.

Southern California
Level Contributor
14,431 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Royal Playa del Carmen experts..few questions please 😊

ADO does not stop at Akumal Romy. Goes from Playa to Tulum.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
192 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Royal Playa del Carmen experts..few questions please 😊

Thanks so much for the info guys. We may or may not rent a car for the day depending on how far away we want to venture out. 4 days to go!! Can't wait to get there, SO EXCITED! So looking forward to swimming with the turtles at Akumal, thinking that might be the highlight of the trip. Thanks for your replies! Trip report for The Royal to follow when I return.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
31 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Royal Playa del Carmen experts..few questions please 😊

Hi there,

We stayed at the royal a few years ago and they had a system where you could choose your room online a day before you arrived, we were able to choose an ocean view room from there. Not sure if it is still in use. Just a note, even though we had an ocean view room (that faced the pool) we actually would have preferred ocean front or near the second smaller pool section- near the coffee shop (it was so quiet there), because at night there were very loud wedding parties going on by us. Not a big deal for us - but next time we would choose differently. You can always get your travel agent to find out the best areas to have a room at the hotel is depending on your needs Ours always finds out for us. Also we preferred Xelha to Xcarat - depends on what you want to do. The river ride is shorter at Xelha, but we just loved the snorkelling- spent most of the day just flipping around. Xcarat combines some interesting culture with attractions and animals/birds and there was a raft/float trip. Re the beach - we didn't spent much time there at all but it didn't seem busy. The beach is by a small dock and didn't smell while we were there.

Have a great time!

Level Contributor
79 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Royal Playa del Carmen experts..few questions please 😊

The other reviewers may have said this, but two things about the beach. First, I LOVED the beach!! Second, we never, ever, ever had an issue finding a place on the beach in the shade. We went at the end of January/beginning of February so not low season. I liked the beach chairs in the shade better then the beds....better for reading. We are going back to Mexico this winter, but had to choose a cheaper resort. I am crossing my fingers to have a similar beach experience.

9. Re: Royal Playa del Carmen experts..few questions please 😊

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 September 2015, 05:15