We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need Help Deciding Which Resort

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
13 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Need Help Deciding Which Resort

Hi, all. Not all of these choices are in PDC, but I had to pick a forum.

Looking for adults-only. Good entertainment. Some nightlife although we usually get to bed before midnight. Lively pool, but not insane. Need a pool bar. Also like a place to eat near beach so that we can throw on a shirt/cover and grab a bite. Palapas on beach a big plus. Like to walk the beach. Don't mind big resorts and walking. Would not like a tiny resort. Not swingers but like to have some fun. Like places that have folks from all parts of the world. I find it very interesting talking with them.

Places we have in mind:

Valentin - Have stayed here once before and really liked it. Looking to try something else though.

Royal Suites Yucatan - Concerned about some negative reviews but it's the most affordable.

The Royal in PDC - worried about construction noise.

El Dorado Seaside Suites - top choice right now.

Royal Hideaway Playacar - just starting looking into this one.

We've never been to PDC or to Tulum. So anywhere we stay we'll probably visit both.

Thanks for any advice.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
22,892 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need Help Deciding Which Resort

Based on what you're looking for, the VIM came to mind immediately. However, since you've been there and want to try something new, check out Secrets Silversands. The only caveat - the beach there is great for lounging and walking (you can go a really long way; I turned back before after about 90 minutes but the beach went on for MILES) but is pretty much unswimmable due to sharp rocks in the water.

I did a very long and very detailed comparison of the VIM vs. SSS here - tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g240327-i395-k69612… (Be warned, I'm not kidding when I say this thing is long!)

I've never stayed at RH and it does get great reviews but it's my understanding that it's VERY quiet there.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
277 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need Help Deciding Which Resort

Silversands came to mind for me too. Side note: I'm not sure if Royal Hideaway has a swim up bar....

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
13 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need Help Deciding Which Resort

We're getting the best price, by far, through Southwest vacations. Secrets Silversands isn't an option. On other sites the prices are way too high. SS would cost us about $1000 more for an 8 night trip.

Floyds Knobs...
Level Contributor
807 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need Help Deciding Which Resort

RH does not have a swim up bar but servers will bring you drinks over to the edge.

Stowe, Vermont
Level Contributor
7,084 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need Help Deciding Which Resort

Not RH for what you describe.

VIM is perfect.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,686 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need Help Deciding Which Resort

If construction noise is your main concern about the Royal I would look into it a bit more. Most of the loud exterior construction is complete so it shouldn't be an issue. There isn't as much on-site entertainment at The Royal as there is at the Valentin but that's primarily because of the Royal's amazing in town location. We love finding live music, art galleries, beach bars, etc. While staying there. The only thing that we think is better at the Valentin than at the Royal is the secluded beach but we love people watching. Everything else is a solid notch above in our opinion.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
11,045 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need Help Deciding Which Resort

The Royal Suites Yucatan meets all of your needs.

RSY is a small adults only area tucked away in a jungle setting as part of the larger Grand Palladium complex. It provides you with an intimated AO area, private lobby with premium drinks, room service, private pool, gourmet restaurant in addition to access to the other four resorts and all of the a la cartes. There is live music in some of the other lobbies and two large active pools with swim up bars in addition to adult only pools.

The complex is large and lovely wit great attention to detail, warm, wonderful friendly staff, a long varied beach with tons of palapas and snorkeling. Close to off site areas like Akumal.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
13 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need Help Deciding Which Resort

@KelliandDoug

Could you elaborate a bit more on the construction at/near the Royal? Is it in the Royal itself? Or next door? I've read some posts that something is being built just north of it. And to avoid the north end of the resort. But often when I try to get a specific spot at a resort it's not available.

Thanks for any other advice you can provide.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
13 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need Help Deciding Which Resort

Or if anyone else can comment about the construction noise at the Royal.

It's a shame, we really like the looks of this place. Couldn't take 6AM jack hammers though.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,686 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need Help Deciding Which Resort

There is a new Hyatt being built to the North of the Royal. They were doing the pile driving when we were there a year ago, that was loud when it happened but nothing we could hear at the main pool or most of the beach. We had a room near the Coffee House and used our patio frequently and were never bothered by it.

We haven't been there in a year but recent reviews and trip reports indicate that the loud/outside construction is mostly complete and that they are working on interior finishes. If that's true then I doubt you'd hear anything at all from a room in the North area of the Royal.

Message me if you want some links to find super detailed information from recent visitors.