We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

all inclusive - never have been...

new jersey
Level Contributor
1,644 posts
88 reviews
Save Topic
all inclusive - never have been...

Hello,

Our family is visiting in January and after the kids head out, my husband and I are considering a few days at an all inclusive.

Never having stayed in one more before, I would welcome any suggestions. Aside from the usual great food and beautiful calm beach, my hubby is a bit of a wine snob. I have searched the forums but can't seem to find anything specific to the wine selections.

I would appreciate any help...

Thank you!

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
12,175 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: all inclusive - never have been...

Most AIs I have stayed at have mediocre wine at best. Many have a better wine list for a cost. I find the wine at the Palladium to be pretty good for AI wine (imported from Spain). I did meet some gentlemen there who were self-proclaimed wine snobs and always travel with a good boxed wine. So, your husband will probably want to bring his own or order from a menu for a cost.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
23,850 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: all inclusive - never have been...

It would be useful to know what sort of budget you have and whether ot not adult only is a requirement or even a preference.

"Great food" is subjective. It is generally acknowledged that Grand Velas is about the best in that department but it is also one of the most expensive (if not THE most expensive) AI in the region and it's not adult only.

As for a "calm beach", Mother Nature is fickle and whilst we can certainly direct you to beaches that aren't known for big waves, there's no guarantee that the ocean will be calm during your visit. At one resort that I've been to multiple times, I've seen the ocean be everything from millpond smooth to 6 foot plus waves crashing on the shore - and this was within the space of about three days!

Chicago
Level Contributor
691 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: all inclusive - never have been...

You might look into the Royal Hideaway--nice beach and they are known for their food. You can do a search on here for "Royal Hideaway wine" and see what comes up.

new jersey
Level Contributor
1,644 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: all inclusive - never have been...

I would ideally not like to go over $3500 for the week, but I don't have a set budget because I wouldn't stick to it. Not to say that means the sky is the limited, keep in mind we will have already been there 2 weeks, but simply because I will talk myself into anything if it WOWS me.

I have found some posts that mention that lobster and steaks could have up-charges, this is what I mean about totally being clueless to this all inclusive thing. I have TONS of research to do before I commit to this but am very grateful for your kind suggestions and points in the right direction :)

I will look into the Royal Hideaway now...

Thanks again!

Grand Junction...
Level Contributor
2,300 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: all inclusive - never have been...

Iberostar Grand doesn't have upcharges for lobster, and it is supposed to have a decent wine list included. I haven't stayed there, yet, but it is on my short list of resorts for April.

Kentucky
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: all inclusive - never have been...

I was looking for an AI with great food. After reading quite a few reviews and forum posts it came down to Grand Velas or Paradisus La Perla for my wife & me. We ended up choosing Paradisus both for price and adults only.

The food was very good, but the included wine was only just average. They did have (if I remember correctly) 2 reds, a merlot and a cab, and 2 whites, a chard & a savingon blanc. Your husband may want to lower his wine expectations a little unless you want to pay more for a wine from the list. I looked at a few of the "premium" wines, but in the end settled for the adequate house wines and enjoyed the extensive tequila collection the resort offered.

Savannah,GA
Destination Expert
for Savannah
Level Contributor
4,225 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: all inclusive - never have been...

The Royal in Playa del Carmen has about 18 wines available, both red & white, most from Mexico, Spain & a red from Argentina which I thought was pretty good. Not a wine snob but thought it a great match with my lamb or venison meals.

Edited: 29 August 2014, 22:15
Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
12,175 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: all inclusive - never have been...

The Royal Suites Yucatan guests have unlimited lobster available in all a la carts. You can order this with a steak (filet mignon, rib eye, etc) or lamb chops if you wish. here is a separate wine list (for a cost)in addition to the house wine.

The RSY is an intimate AO section of the larger Grand Palladium. Guests in RY have their own gourmet restaurant, lobby with premium liquors, room service, private pool with wait service, Royal golf cart service with access to the entire Palladium complex. There is live music in some lobbies in the evening as well as a piano bar. Beaches are long and varied.

GTA
Level Contributor
613 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: all inclusive - never have been...

The Royal Hideaway (already mentioned) has some good wine and wine options, better than any other Mexico AI I"ve been to (includes RPDC, though it is pretty good too). RHP wine included some from France. And a $7500 bottle. Got a picture of that wine menu page.

Stowe, Vermont
Level Contributor
7,110 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: all inclusive - never have been...

I disagree, Royal Hideaway's included wine was pedestrian. They upcharge wine list is a nice offering but the included wine was not good at all.

Le Blanc had the best included wines of any AI in Mexico to date. No, I take that back - Grand Velas, my husband thought was better.

The Ibeorstar Grand also has a nice selection of wines that are included; most are from Chile, some from France. The wine list for upcharge is very, very extensive.