We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Turtles?

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
6 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Turtles?

i'd love to see turtles when we are in Playa Del Carmen - I don't really know much about it - do you have to go on a tour or will they just be in the shallow waters? can you see them hatching anywhere? is September the right time of year for them?

1. where is the best place (that's not too much travelling)

2. is it best to book onto a tour or can you just show up in the place from public transport (we don't want to hire a car)

3. is there a good time of day etc.

4. how much will it cost?

anything else that might help ....

I go on saturday

Stowe, Vermont
Level Contributor
7,082 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Turtles?

The closest is in Akumal. Ask at your hotel for tours, or just take a taxi to the main beach there.

Southern California
Level Contributor
12,376 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Turtles?

You don't need a tour, just take a taxi to Akumal and go snorkeling with them. If you need to rent gear, you can rent from either of the two dive shops. Plenty of places to eat and shop as well. Hatching will take place during September, normally the local ecology society, CEA, does releases. If a nest hatches during the day, CEA collects the turtles and puts them in a bucket until dusk. Have fun.

Great Smoky...
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
2,715 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Turtles?

You can also take a colectivo (go to Calle 2 between Ave 15 and Ave 25) which only costs 30 pesos each, they drop you off on Hiway 307 then you walk across skybridge then a short walk to the arches. Go early! Try to get there 8ish; you'll love it!

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
21,572 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Turtles?

We just took the collective to Akumal Beach. I was with my family.. five of us .. all adults. Its funny.. three of us really really wanted to see the turtles.. my son and I were the two that thought " it would be nice to see them but no big deal the beach is so beautiful lets enjoy the day".

So my hubby , and our two daughters made a big deal about snorkling out beyond the ropes.. where they saw the snorkling tours hanging out.

My son and I were in about 8 feet of water.. inside the ropes..

My son and I saw numerous turtles.. and sting rays.

The other three in our group saw nothing but fish..

lol

We brought our own masks and snorkles from home. We did not have fins or vests.

Just go where no one else is..and you may be lucky like us!

Total cost was about 3 bucks each for the bus .

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
21,572 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Turtles?

sorry.. should mention we were staying at the Grand Bahai Akumal.. so your transportation costs will be different. Hubby and kids did take a taxi into Playa after beach day.. I took bus back to hotel. Can't remember taxi cost but it was reasonable and took about 25 minutes I think.

St Paul, MN
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
12,621 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Turtles?

A taxi will run about $30 usd or 400 pesos. They can only handle 4 people at a time, 5 including the driver. The colectivo is a fun adventure. The Akumal Dive Center or Akumal Dive shop will have showers and a locker to rent for your valuables, as well as all your snorkeling gear. If you want steak out a beach chair at Lol Ha on the beach and have lunch afterwards.

The turtle feeding grounds are about 200 yards from shore, they eat seaweed, but we have found huge turtles close to shore, as well as stingrays, a huge grouper last spring and if you are lucky a fish boil. A fish boil is millions of sardines that will be chased by a bunch of tuna. You may see a lone barracuda hanging around the fish boil. Don't wear silver earings:-))) Stay out of the boat channel, it's marked with bouys.

It's actually beneficial to have some tour groups to swim with. The guides willl find the turtles and then everyone can enjoy them. Getting there real early has it's advantages but you may have trouble finding the turtles.

A trip to Yal Ku lagoon a mile north may also be worth it to see all the colorful fish in the protected lagoon. Check out the Akumal Trip Advisor for some great tips.

Edited: 01 September 2014, 18:59
Bryans Road
Level Contributor
3,864 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Turtles?

Akumal is great, but I've also been pleasantly surprised at the number of turtles seen snorkeling in PM. Enjoy!

Cumbria, United...
Level Contributor
145 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Turtles?

What is it "PM" ?

Bryans Road
Level Contributor
3,864 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Turtles?

Puerto Morelos. Sorry, I have big thumbs! ;-)

Level Contributor
6 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Turtles?

thank you so much