We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Go to mexico in october or not????

CANNOCK...
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Go to mexico in october or not????

We are about to book a holiday for around Friday 13th October (bad date I know). We are looking at Mexico - Playa del carmen or Cancun. Worried about weather as understand hurricane season and the weather seems to have been rain, rain and more rain for the last couple of weeks.

Not booking up until week before in case there is a hurricane. Any ideas or advcie, is it worth going as we seek sun and beach. Not sure whether to go somewhere else

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo, Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
11,387 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Go to mexico in october or not????

I did two trips to PDC in August...both times the weather looked just horrible...but had to go anyway. The first time it did rain about 3 inches in about an hour...and the power went out in the storm...but a couple of hours later people were back on the beach as if nothing had ever happened! It rained or sprinkled a couple of the late evenings...but no biggie. Then my 2nd trip I arrived and so did the path of Hurricane Ernesto...everyone there kept telling me that it would change its course...even bet me dinner that if I watched the websites...that at 2, 5 and 8PM it would change...and sure enough it did! I gladly bought dinner! It sprinkled one evening just as I was coming back to my hotel, and during one nite there was a big thunder boomer kind of storm, but that was all for the entire week...yet on the website it showed rain each day. Just remember...any day in PDC is better than being at work...so just go to Mexico...and enjoy! Booking close to departure helps, but don't book too close because you get the 4th degree as to why you booked within 36 hours (as I did!!)...security was a mess for me...and my renewed passport doesn't show it as a renewal, so here I was with a "new" passport and a ticket purchased 17 hours before the flight! A real mess... Just go and seek that sun and beach. Got nice little small hotels if you are looking for something cute and Mexican...just let me know, and I have lots of photos of hotels if you want me to email them to you.

Kansas
Level Contributor
319 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Go to mexico in october or not????

I was in Mexico (Play del Carmen) last October and am returning this year too. Last year the forecast showed rain everyday and it rained maybe a total of 20 minutes on 2 different days. The weather was beautiful. I wouldn't hesitate, typically our trips are booked a few months in advance so we do purchase insurance, from what I understand this has been a calm year compared to the last few. Have a great trip, I am counting the days until ours.

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,497 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Go to mexico in october or not????

I´ve been here since August 22nd and it´s been sunny and warm every day. Rain has been mostly in the evenings, after sundown, which is nice because it cools things off.

October is the end of the hurricane season, which usually ends the first week of November. The season has been pretty quiet. I wouldn´t worry about getting caught in a storm. The odds are unlikely.

4. Re: Go to mexico in october or not????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2006, 14:18
near Houston TX
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Go to mexico in october or not????

We live on the Texas gulf coast, and traveling to PDC during hurricane season isn't that different from staying home... risk wise that is. We have been through several hurricanes, and it's just something we have learned to deal with and stay constantly prepared for. Being firefighters, we don't even leave during evacuations. We stay and help our people. So if a storm hits while we are on vacation, we will hole up with the locals in what ever shelter they use, then go back to our vacation (or home) when it's over. We should have enough warning to get to safety. I guess we have developed a sort-of 'bring it on' mentality toward natural disasters.

All that being said, if you are seriously worried, you may not want to book during the storm season. It's not very likely a storm will hit, they have had 1 or 2 in 12 years i think? But it's always a possibility. Do what ever you are comfortable with, depending on your tolerance of risk. No one can predict if a storm will disrupt your vacation. Remember to pack your senses of humor and adventure!

Michigan
Level Contributor
164 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Go to mexico in october or not????

Personally, I don’t go to Mexico from May – December. However, it is much cheaper.

I love the summer weather where I live and I don’t want to loose even a few hours of a vacation to bad weather.

Level Contributor
120 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Go to mexico in october or not????

GO, GO, GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We have been to the Mexican Rivera every Oct. for 10 years, last year was the first time a hurricane messed it up and since the airport was closed, we got all money back. (We did not take the insurance last year) We still were able to book a vacation for the same dates to Puerto Vallarta.

If worried, take the insurance just to make sure. We travel with a group of 12-20 of us and it is the perfect time to go.

have fun!

homeandaway
Level Contributor
640 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Go to mexico in october or not????

Hi THEBAGGIES,

We're going! october 17th - november 2nd.

We're not too worried, octobers no riskier than any other month in the hurricane season, and I've read from a very reliable and respected source on the forums that statistically only 1 hurricane per 12 years hits the Yucatan penninsular after last years 2 are factored in that made it 1 per decade!

Kinda puts it in perspective - For me anyway!

BTW i got married on friday 13th october and my absolute came through on 4th July - LOL ;0) Good job I'm not superstitious!

andi x

los angeles, ca
6 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Go to mexico in october or not????

I am going in October and i am not worry about the weather.

i purchased insurance just incase, but i think October is a good time to go.

10. Re: Go to mexico in october or not????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 August 2009, 00:20