We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it best to taek peso's or american dollars?

England
Level Contributor
106 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Is it best to taek peso's or american dollars?

Is it best to take USD or Mexican Peso's which are more widely used?

kansas city
Level Contributor
1,454 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it best to taek peso's or american dollars?

We exchange once we get to town. hey when in mexico do as the mexicans- just more fun to get more involved in the culture

canada
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it best to taek peso's or american dollars?

hy rarebit,

I watch the exchange rate all year and buy when the rate is good, that makes me dream off my next vacation !!!

I go to playa del carmen and on the 5th avenue you can see the different rate they offert sometime if you tell them you saw a better rate they will give in. The best one is most offen the one near the bus station or if you have amex there is a boot with good rates.

If you bring travelers, have a copy of your passport with you and they exchange them, it's always a good idea to have that with you anyway.

Have fun !!

Embarrass, Minnesota
Level Contributor
5,763 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it best to taek peso's or american dollars?

If you are staying on the European plan use pesos....if you are at an all-inclusive hotel use pesos.

If you are in Mexico use pesos.

If you are in the US of A use dollars.

You can also use a credit card and not worry about it!

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,202 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it best to taek peso's or american dollars?

We found that by paying with pesos, you got a better deal. If we paid with American Dollars, most merchants and restaurants will do a 10 to 1 exchange rate, although it REALLY is 11 to 1, sometimes higher. You just get a little better deal when paying with pesos.

Most everyplace will take any currency you give them though.

It was also easier for us, because after mucho margaritas you don't have to do any math in your head, just give them the number of pesos you owe them!

Also, if you go to an ATM machine, you will get a good exchange rate, sometimes better than at the Money Exchange booths (which are both located all over the place in town)

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
4,177 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it best to taek peso's or american dollars?

beach bum is very right. do the atm`s, pay in potatoes...sorry pesos & dont worry if you have some left over at end of trip as its good for last minute tips. We have to wait till January for all that pleasure....DOE!!!

chigwell, essex. uk
Level Contributor
1,312 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it best to taek peso's or american dollars?

rarebit,

I have some $$$$ left from this year's holiday so was thinking of taking them to Mexico next year. However, I looked on the Travelex money site and calculated that the rate we would get changing $$$ to Peso's was not as good, as doing a straight £ to peso swap. So I think I will be buying just Peso's. Not only that, but you can then work out what things are costing with just the one sum, not two.

In the Dominican this year, we were paying with $$$$ and getting change in Dominican Peso's. We could never quite work out, what things had cost us! It was all too confusing.

I do have quite a lot of $1 notes that I will take to tip the maids/barstaff etc.

Lorraine

England
Level Contributor
106 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it best to taek peso's or american dollars?

Hi Lorraine

Thanks for that info, i have made the decision to take Peso's, it seems more viable. Also change a few pounds into dollars for tipping

Regards

jenni

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,516 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is it best to taek peso's or american dollars?

Not to be too stupid but is Pesos paper or coin?

Erie, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Playa Paraiso
Level Contributor
4,102 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is it best to taek peso's or american dollars?

Both, but I understand the paper better (roughly - $20 pesos=$2US, 50 pesos=$50US), so I have a large collection of coins because I don't want to insult anyone by leaving them a tip that is worth 10cUS.

Can anyone educate me on the amount of the coins worth US?

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,202 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is it best to taek peso's or american dollars?

Check out this website at /www dot x-rates dot com/calculator.html