We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cenotes close to Playacar

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bel Air Maryland
Level Contributor
223 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Cenotes close to Playacar

We went ot Chitzen Itza a couple of years ago on an Apple tour, and swam at a beautiful Cenote on the trip home.

Are there any Cenotes close (within 45 minutes of Playacar) Where we can visit and swim for an hour or so?

wix
Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
747 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cenotes close to Playacar

Several choices. We went to Dos Ojos. They're just past the Xel Ha turnoff on the right side of the highway. (The collectivo van will stop if you tell the driver. It's a $2 trip from town, perhaps 25 minutes.) They're limestone caverns, with stalactites and beautiful clear water. Great looking and very safe and still open to the light. It's a popular site for scuba tours so you can watch their lights flickering in the darker deeper corners of the cave. About $8 to get in, and rental is similar. It's a 20-minute walk from the highway, but a couple picked us up on the way in and a dive tour offered us a lift on the way out.

Hope this helps.

Embarrass, Minnesota
Level Contributor
5,762 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cenotes close to Playacar

I have a map with all the cenotes marked on it. I'll send it to you if you send me a email at message@thatec.com

I went to one but on a van tour. Fun but prefer the sun and beach. Besides...not many fish hang out in there and you need head lights to see good.

3. Re: Cenotes close to Playacar

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2009, 22:18