We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Barcelo Mayan Tropical - good body surfing?

Alberta
Level Contributor
379 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Barcelo Mayan Tropical - good body surfing?

We are planning to take our kids to Barcelo Maya - tropical side in December. I've read fantastic reviews of the beach, but are the waves able to body surf in? And do we need to bring our own boogie boards?

Also does anyone know what the weather is like in December, and how busy the resort is?

We are bring kids 9 and 13, and it looks like activity wise, this resort might be ok for them.

Any advice is appreciated!

Ft. Worth
Level Contributor
1,143 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Barcelo Mayan Tropical - good body surfing?

I don't believe you would be able to body surf. The water was very calm the entire time I was there.

The hotel had a 6% occupancy rate when we there at the beginning of September. We asked how busy it was from month to month and were told that Sept & Oct were the only slow months.

In the Tropical section, rooms 7311-7320 have a partial oceanview without having to pay the price of a suite. 7311 would be closest to the water.

Seafood and Japanese restaurants serve lobster.

ihb
Racine, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
189 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Barcelo Mayan Tropical - good body surfing?

i think you will love it but rather than boogie boards (really no surf, i agree) bring snorkling gear! the pier off the property is great for snorkling and i believe safe for the kids, as long as they swim fairly well (water will be over their heads).

you have picked the best end of the resort! and the newest! its gorgeous! we stayed at the "maya beach" end of the property in July and it was fine, although a little worn but fine for the price we paid. when we return we will definetly stay in the tropical end of the resort.

one other thing........if you are going with a tour group, ie, apple or funjet or whatever and will be taking a bus from the airport to the resort, look into how much it might cost to hire a private car to take you to the resort. the reason i mention this is that, via tour group bus, the trip can take as long as 2 hours to get to barcelo because it is one of the last stops that the buses make and the buses stop at numerous hotels on the way which is why it takes so long. a

private car would take about 45-50min tops, maybe less, depending on construction, traffic and so on. we have not looked in to the cost of a car to the resort, but that is what we will do the next time we go.

hope you enjoy it! have fun!

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Barcelo Mayan Tropical - good body surfing?

I agree with ihb-we were there 9/16-23. Apple offers 2 types of non stop transfers (both are both ways). This time we paid $20 ea extra and were taken from the airport to the hotel in a van. Other people were in the van-we got dropped off first. Going back to the airport we were put on a big bus-last stop, so it was non stop to the airport. It took an hour once were rolling for travel time. You can also get private transportation through Apple or Funjet, I think for about 50-60 each. Well worth it either way you go. One other thing, I've seen people complaining about what a hassle it is turning your towels in getting your cards back and getting new towels the next morning-skip the middle part! Trade your old towels for new at the end of the day or first thing in the morning. Then they are holding y our towel cards and you don't have to worry about losing them every night and getting stuck paying $20 per card. This is a great place, you've got to try the Japanese restaurant, it was excellent. We've been to alot of all inclusives and the food in general was as good or better here than any of the others we've been to. No boogie bording or body surfing here, the reef goes across the from of the property and cuts the big ones off.

4. Re: Barcelo Mayan Tropical - good body surfing?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2009, 03:17