We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

PLEASE help find the perfect resort for us!!

San Diego
Level Contributor
2,269 posts
1 review
Save Topic
PLEASE help find the perfect resort for us!!

This is kind of last minute, but my spouse and I are thinking of going to Playa Del Carmen for a week at Xmas. We've been to Cancun and Cozumel but would like to try PDC. Never been there and it looks like there are many all-inclusives, which we've never stayed at so maybe the more well informed could help us narrow it down.

The # 1 priority is a beachfront property on a GREAT beach!

We typically spend the whole day on the beach and hopefully this trip will be no different. Lounge, read, stroll, and frolic in crystal clear H2O on a beautiful stretch of sand. Hopefully a quiet stretch without too many loud kids yelling Marco Polo or over-served partiers hellbent on getting their money's worth at the bar.

Not looking for nightlife just a relaxing stay at a fantastic beach, preferably at a property with decent food so we'd never have to leave. We generally prefer smaller properties that are clean, comfortable and not rundown. Don't expect to be pampered, just friendly service. An oceanview room with a balcony would be ideal.

Can anyone provide a few choices to help us narrow it down? Remember fantastic beach!!

Are all beachfront resorts in PDC AI and if not do you recommend AI anyway?

What's the best way to get to PDC from the airport in Cancun; do resorts provide transportation? How long is the drive?

I imagine Xmas is high season; any tips on getting good deals in the area? Any favored websites?

Thank you in advance!!

Soy La Pesera
Taxis & Shuttles
Caribe Viaggi
Dolphin & Whale Watching, Taxis & Shuttles, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Boat Tours, Archaeology Tours
chicago
Level Contributor
460 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: PLEASE help find the perfect resort for us!!

ID-Have you ever considered Tulum? It is further south than PDC but well worth the extra travel time.We stayed at Ana y Jose and it was exactly what we had been looking for for years at other resorts but never found until Ana y Jose.It was a secluded paradise and the beach was like a postcard and we walked for miles and only saw 3 or 4 people.The food here was incredible,if you go try the grilled lobster with mango salsa.The service was great and the ammenities were wonderful.If you want to check out their site its anayjose.com. If you are set on going to PDC there is a site just for PDC travel,I think its called playainfo.net ? Its a very informative site that may help you narrow your search.Well wherever you end up have a great trip.

chicago
Level Contributor
460 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: PLEASE help find the perfect resort for us!!

ID- sorry about that the site for PDC is play.info

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,749 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: PLEASE help find the perfect resort for us!!

Check out the Royal Hideaway, i think it's what you are looking for.

San Diego
Level Contributor
2,269 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: PLEASE help find the perfect resort for us!!

Thanks guys!

PVE the Royal Hideaway looks fabulous, but I think too palatial for us. Plus $900+/nite is not what I'm looking for. Any other thoughts?

Felixncharlie- Ana y Jose looks more like what we're after. The beach looks gloriously PERFECT! However they're booked. Bummer! I'll definitely keep it in mind for the future though.

So any other suggestions? Oceanfront on the BEST beach. Low key rather that pampered luxury. Less is more. Adult oriented, but NOT a party palace. Anyone?

Thanks!

Midwest United...
Level Contributor
87 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: PLEASE help find the perfect resort for us!!

Just a suggestion, but have you and your wife looked to Isla Mujeres? I have never been, but my friend got married there and her parents stay at NaBalam a few times a year and they say it is the best beach.

I hope you have a wonderful trip!!

San Diego
Level Contributor
2,269 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: PLEASE help find the perfect resort for us!!

Hi Sunny. yes we've been there. Only on a day trip, but cruising around I can't say I liked the beaches any better than Cancun. Plus we don't want to get too complicated with the travel arrangements since we only have a week. I hear such good things about the beaches at PDC that we want to check that area out before it gets as busy as Cancun. Thanks.

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,749 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: PLEASE help find the perfect resort for us!!

Take a look at the Allegro property they aren't as expensive as the hideaway. Good beach, smaller resort, great service. Read some of the reviews it may meet your needs.

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: PLEASE help find the perfect resort for us!!

Just returned from the Riu Palace Mexico. Found a great deal on expedia.com. A few kids but not many at all. Great beach...one downside is no umbrellas but that didn't seem to bother any one. My review should post in day or two. Feel free to ask questions.

Missouri
Level Contributor
258 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: PLEASE help find the perfect resort for us!!

We stayed at the Allegro in Playa de Carmen .We enjoyed it alot .They were renovating it at that time but the staff made sure it was no problem for the guests.Have been to St.Lucia and Maui also.Iliked the beach at the Allegro so much better!Thoroughly loved the water there.As far as the accomadations go they were not elegant but were certainly very clean and one of the most comfortable beds I have ever slept on.Good food too! Would love to go back.Loved,Loved,Loved the beach.

Missouri
Level Contributor
258 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: PLEASE help find the perfect resort for us!!

As to your question about transportation.The Allegro does pick you up at the airport in Cancun.Maybe a 20-30 minute drive?and they will get you back in time to make your departure.