We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Peso or USD

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Norwich
Level Contributor
131 posts
Save Topic
Peso or USD

I have read a few comments as to which is the best currency to bring to Mexico on this site. As I am from England & the exchange rate is so good at present-£1 to $1.84-do you think it would be a good idea to convert my money to USD instead of taking peso's?

Any advice is appreciated-thanks!

Embarrass, Minnesota
Level Contributor
5,751 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Peso or USD

Please explain why you want to give them dollars when their national currency is pesos.

When I was in the UK I didn't give Yen because I got a good rate while I was in Japan. I exchanged for your pounds, pence, and quid. How come your money has holes in it?

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
10,410 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Peso or USD

Jenster, In almost every place there you can use either US dollars or pesos. I myself bring some US cash (a bunch of US ones for tipping) and then use an ATM machine there for pesos as I need them.

When I was last there in September, I met an English couple who brought along some US dollars and then got pesos either through an ATM or through exchanging travelers checks while there. You won't get as good an exchange rate, though, by cashing travelers checks.

Basically, if you use US dollars you will usually get change back in pesos so when dealing with vendors I feel it's best to use pesos so the exchange rate is not left up to the vendor. Taxis, collectivos, and almost everyone will accept US dollars. If you go to Tulum you will need pesos. Some hotel gift shops will only accept pesos or credit cards. (Note many credit card companies charge an international service fee so if you use a credit card 1) call your cc company ahead of time to tell them you're traveling to Mexico and 2) find out what their service fee is for intl. use.)

One more note: If you use US dollars they must be in good condition or they will not be accepted.

Good luck and have fun.

Norwich
Level Contributor
131 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Peso or USD

Thank you guys for the advice. It has helped me make up my mind to take peso's.

Saskatoon Canada
Level Contributor
308 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Peso or USD

Jenster why on earth would you want to TAKE Peosos with you. Tell me in your plan what your going to do if you do not bring enough to get you through your vacation????? Pesos are available by using your bank card and withdrawing from your own account anytime you need to. The machines are called ATM's. This is one of the wonders of the new millinium. type Peso vs dollar in to the search box and hit go

colorado
Level Contributor
394 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Peso or USD

Gosh, I thought this forum was to be helpful and answer peoples questions, not to insult them for asking them

Remember, there are no stupid questions..............

Norwich
Level Contributor
131 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Peso or USD

Murdav-I based my decision to take peso's on the responses I got from my question! the reason I asked the question in the first place was because I wasn't sure what the right thing to do was-but thank you for being so helpful!! Are you saying you would advise not to bring any peso's or dollars & just use an ATM whilst there?

I'm not worried about running out of money-we are planning to take £2000 worth of currency & bring our card in case we overspend (which is always pssible as its Christmastime we will be there!

Mykidsmama-thank you for your input-I really appreciate it. I don't think it was a silly question either-1st tme in mexico & in all the reports I have read regarding peso or dollar-very mixed reviews. Some people say the people at the hotel liked to be tipped in dollars & others say they prefer to be tipped in pesos.

The great thing about this forum is that you get many different peoples views!!

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
4,177 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Peso or USD

& my view for what it is worth. If you come from the U.S. were you use $`s they take $`s in Mexico everywhere then why would you bother to change to Peso`s. You may save a few peso`s at the end of the trip but I do not think its worth it. Any change you get from your U.S. in peso`s leave for the tips. Its quite easy. IF you are going to to change some use a bank`s ATM & draw from your account. I may be wrong but I believe its the cheapest way to do it. I am now Canadian & we change to U.S. before we leave & NEVER... I repeat Never have a problem. The U.S.$ rocks down there & Jan 3` will be our 9TH trip to Mex` so its tested, tried & true. Have fun, dont stress, use U.S.

Norwich
Level Contributor
131 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Peso or USD

Inthesun-thats great-thanks for your advice-I think I will now go with dollars (as my initial thought!) As you have been so many times do you have any favourite trips/places to visit that you would recommend?

Texas
Level Contributor
429 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Peso or USD

Jenster,

I also think you could use either, but US dollars are more valuable (just a fact) and whether or not the Peso is their currency is not really the issue. The locals would prefer dollars and if it is easier to use dollars, then use dollars.

I normally exchange a little bit of money for small trips/items, but I have NEVER been anywhere where dollars weren't accepted or appreciated.

By the way, check out Tulum. You might want to bring a few peso's there.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
4,177 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Peso or USD

Divelaw is spot on. I too was going to say they prefer U.S. down there but did not want to go over board on my little pro U.S.$ rant as I know others lean more to peso`s & did not want to here any neg`s back. Places to go??You talking riv` maya or mex`? Mex???? Huatulco is a great place, not crowded yet & great bays to snorkle. You can still get a Corona & chips with salsa for a $1 there (YES U.S.!!!!!!!!!!) at cafe`s in town & vendors are not pushy...try getting that in playa. Just in case anyone asks i was recently there in March 06.Our 3rd trip there. Ixtapa is nice too & you can get the old town feel next door in, & I am not going to try spell it but we shorten it to Z`what.. Great seafood & cobblestone strees. Manzanillo was ok. Playa has its own charm but almost (almost) too touristy for us. Try old Cancun for some charm, the hotel district for big macs, taco bell, Kentucky fried & high prices. Pdc at night, the dolphin swim & last but not least a golden Margarita on the rocks (slushies are for children) washed dowm with an ice cold Sol or Pacifico.....oh my roll on Jan`2. Life is good. Kevin & Inge. Mexico lovers,