We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling with a 1 year old to PDC or Cancun - any advice?

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Walla Walla
Level Contributor
428 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Traveling with a 1 year old to PDC or Cancun - any advice?

We are trying to plan our trip to the Cancun area. Any advise would be appreciated about traveling with a 1 year old. He just turned one. And don't tell me to call his Grandma and leave him at home, thanks! I'm looking for suggestions that will make traveling and hanging out with him in the resorts easier. Thanks!

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
10,814 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling with a 1 year old to PDC or Cancun - any advice?

Hi,

I have traveled with my daughter since she was nine months old and now she's almost sixteen.

Bring a stroller with an umbrella, hats, a float, some cheerios as snack. You'll be fine. Keep your child out of the sun and keep him on a schedule.

Take lots of pictures.

Manchester, New...
Level Contributor
325 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling with a 1 year old to PDC or Cancun - any advice?

I took my One year old daughter to the Royal Resorts in Cancun last year. We had 4 adults to be able to switch on and off which made the napping/transition/get out of the sun times really easy.

If you are staying in the hotel zone make sure you try to bring a small umbrella stroller to use on the buses as the buses will only wait about 5 seconds to get on/off. Carry the child on first and have someone go slower behind you to give you a chance to transition on and off. We bought a seat on the hotel transfer but then never used the car seat so if you want to save the money you will probablly not need to buy a seat. Also having a small stroller helps in certain resorts(Royal Carribean at least) as there was no ramps at the front and needed to carry her up the stairs each time.

I have read some posts about milk. Our daughter was fine with the milk sold in the convenience stores on campus at the Royals so I'm sure any store you will have no problems.

I agree with posts about the general nature of Mexican waiters/personnel loving the kids. This is great but if you are protective it makes for uneasy situations as the waiters will want to kiss and show affection to many children.

We brought disposable place mats to put down on the tables at dinner they work great, as well as the clean shopper to go on the high chairs as teething children like to chew on everything including old wooden high chairs.

We brought pedialyte just in case and did not need to use it.

I am bringing my now 2 year old daughter nad 3 month old son to Playa in January so depending on when your trip is I'll add more!!

3. Re: Traveling with a 1 year old to PDC or Cancun - any advice?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 August 2009, 07:19