We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Romantic Settings in Playa

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
37 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Romantic Settings in Playa

I'm going to Playa for the first time with my girlfriend in three weeks. I looking for some romantic spots to do a proposal. Anyone who has been there and has some thoughts, they would be greatly appreciated. I've tried looking online but would like some ideas from people who have actually been there and seen the places with their own eyes.

Thanks

McJags

Saint Joseph...
Level Contributor
64 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Romantic Settings in Playa

Simple, You can rent a car, but be careful, that can be funny and expensive and a horror, or go to the bus station in Playa and take a bus with the locals, very safe and go to Akumal. The bus will drop you off 1/2 away on the main road. They will tell you when to get off. Pick a beautiful day for this as Akumal has a gorgeous bay with a snorkel shop and a nice homey bar/restaurant there. When the sun is setting pop it then. You can probable view the area online. The bay has Spanish cannons placed around it and colorful small boats. It'll be great, but you have to have the beautiful weather. Believe me it'll work. I know - I proposed to my wife dressed as knight in shining armour on a horse. I tell her I've given her 12 years of the best nights of her life since then. Just check to see when the last bus comes by or take a taxi. Good luck

Saint Joseph...
Level Contributor
64 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Romantic Settings in Playa

By the way we are going Dec 8-15 and will be at the Tucan with our four kids. By chance are you staying there.

Embarrass, Minnesota
Level Contributor
5,763 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Romantic Settings in Playa

Are you a lark or an owl? Remember that sunsets in the east coast are not the best ...sunrise can be beautiful on the beach for a breakfast picnic on the beach. Then if you mess it up you still have time for plan B ...the candlelight dinner overlooking the ocean.

Depending on where you are planning on staying think about having massages at the same time on the beach (Yes, both of you!) Very relaxing! And gives you a great setup! Work through guest services if the hotel is a larger one or the owner/manager if a boutique hotel. They can be a big help if they know what you are trying to do.

I would stay away from depending on driving yourself in Mexico, also walking more than 3 blocks let alone 1-3 miles to get to a romantic location. Mosquitoes come out at sunset so don't set yourself up for that kind of a rememberance of your special day.

Also the early part of the day is less busy on the beach ...remember one of the reason you picked Playa is the ocean and beaches.

Best to you both on the start of your lifetime adventure!

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
37 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Romantic Settings in Playa

Thanks to both of you for your advice, I've definitely got some good ideas to work with. Oh, we're staying at the RIU Tequila by the way.

Oshawa, Canada
Level Contributor
3,075 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Romantic Settings in Playa

We have been to the Riu Tequila for the past three years so know exactly where you are going to be. Some suggestions for your proposal

1. enlist the help of the entertainment staff. They would love to choose you to be onstage in the evening for the "ice breaker". You could seize the mike and do your proposal. They would love to help you with this.

2. If you walk to the beach at the Yucatan and go right and walk up the beach past all the resorts you will come to an area that is ungroomed, not associated with any resort. Watch and you will see a large rock jutting out of the sand. Tucked back of this rock is one lone palm tree. This is a lovely secluded area, just enough over the beach edge to feel alone. We love to take some fruit and water and spend the day there. I suggest you buy a bottle of wine at duty free as you fly out of Canada, take a backpack with the wine and a couple of wine glasses, the bottle of wine and go down the beach to this secluded area. We consider this to be "our spot".

We have been married for 31 years and hope you can have the same happiness that we have had.

Saint Joseph...
Level Contributor
64 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Romantic Settings in Playa

Edmonton Momma had a very good idea. I posted the original idea to you. We know of the rocky "jut out". It's approx 1/2- 3/4 mile south of your hotel. It is a cool place. Wear shoes or sandals though. We were at that exact spot after the hurricane last year and we did see some medical syringes in that area but I'm sure they have it picked up. That area once again is nice, There was a large boat that was washed up there too. It was approx. 150 yards from the coast pushed into the treeline.

As for that MNVikings guy It is safe to walk from the Hwy to Akumal @1/2 mile. There were not mosquitoes there when we went there last Dec. I would not send you there if I thought safety was an issue.

We will be at the Iberostar Tucan Dec 8-15. You're next door. If we can be of assistance let us know. Maybe we can meet you too on the beach for a drink. We'll have 4 kids with us though.

Good luck the RIU has a very nice beach too. Good luck once again. Lynn and Joe

Saint Joseph...
Level Contributor
64 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Romantic Settings in Playa

McJags, We will be next door at the Tucan. My wife and I are @ 40 and we will be the couple with the four kids 5-10. In case you are there from 12-8 to 12-15 look us up. I'm the guy built like Garth Brooks with the short hair. Good luck on your adventure.

8. Re: Romantic Settings in Playa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2009, 01:17