We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach Erosion Occidental Allegro

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
44,103 posts
137 reviews
Save Topic
Beach Erosion Occidental Allegro

According to this translated article , this hotel is in danger of closing and also the Riu Palace Playa Car and Viva Aztec Wyndham are suffering severe damage:

www.novenet.com.mx/index.php?y=2006&m=12&d=10

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
44,103 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beach Erosion Occidental Allegro

I havent looked yet but I wonder if these hotels continue to take bookings?

Northwest Ohio
Level Contributor
2,432 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beach Erosion Occidental Allegro

Can you tell us where these are in Playa? I was thinking just done from the Playacar Palace, is that correct?

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
44,103 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beach Erosion Occidental Allegro

Yes, they would all be close by since all are in the Playcar complex. Of course, the Palace had its own problems also and now has a very small beach area.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
44,103 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beach Erosion Occidental Allegro

And, as I would have guessed, looks like they continue to take booking on their websites, with no mention of any problem. A good example here of , buyer beware!!

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
44,103 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beach Erosion Occidental Allegro

The newspaper Novedades is mentioning fourth hotel in Playcar is involved but not mentioning the name.

UK
Level Contributor
440 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beach Erosion Occidental Allegro

How do you translate the article? I wanted to read it. We stayed at the Allegro this September. They are not going to be shutting down all Playacar are they? We are booked for the Iberostar Tucan next Aug/Sept will this be affected at all?

Why are they shutting it down? There was plenty enough beach at the Allegro and even more so at the other hotels. And if the beaches are a problem why not just do a beach renovation and pump some sand back up from the sea to the beach?

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
44,103 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beach Erosion Occidental Allegro

Here is the article translated on Google. Not easy to read but mostly understandable:

"It makes the sea damage in hotels The delay in the program of beach recovery of the Mayan Riviera or is beginning to have the first consequences and is that the waves or ate practically all the beach of the Occidental Allegro, in Playacar, where the strong golpeteo of the sea has caused that the sandy ground disappears completely and even or made cracks in the ponds, causing that the hotel closes this zone. “To safeguard integrity of the guests and due to the cracks of the pond and the retaining wall, we decided to close that area and if something is not made soon we are considering to close the hotel”, it indicates the manager, Jesus Cardoso González. It emphasizes that in these days they will assess the damage caused by the strong olaje and with base in it they will make the decision to close the lodging center, that includes/understands 286 rooms. to get to occur the closing of the building they would be lost to the day around 90 thousand pesos only of lodging and they would remain without use around thousand workers, without counting the special tax who leave the guests in other areas. The manager of the Occidental Allegro emphasized the importance of accelerating the project of beach recovery before more hotels are seen in the same situation and the destiny is losing force little by little. He is possible to emphasize that the hotels Riu Palace Playa Car and Viva Aztec Wyndham also begin to undergo damage such. On the other hand, Gustavo Maldonado Saldaña, chief of a main directorate of environmental and urban ordering, comments that for the next week it is possible that one is already had replaced on the environmental studies to see the viability of the project. It emphasized that on the increase of three kilometers in the project of beach recovery that originally includes/understands 12,5 kilometers, this one is not viable because the manifestation of environmental impact was not extended in time. It added that to be approved the last studies, the first months of the year would be possible to be started up the beach recovery, whose cost will be of six million dollars financed by the hotel sector and municipality in equal proportions. "

UK
Level Contributor
440 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beach Erosion Occidental Allegro

So it won't affect the Tucan?

Does it mean the waves are cracking the wall of the swimming pool at the Allegro?

We would probably never return (not cos its not good, we loved it, just cos theres too many places to try out!) but it's kinda sad if it closes. This was our first long haul holiday and mine and my boyfriends first holiday together so it will always be special :(

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
44,103 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Beach Erosion Occidental Allegro

I think these are the only hotels with problems but, as I said I read four are in danger and it only names three here.

The translation is a bit strange but a photo with the article shows the water right at the base of one of the buildings at the Allegro.

One problem is, they are trying to buy sand being dredged at Cozumel and environmentalists are saying the dredging is damaging the area ecology and probably they are correct.

Embarrass, Minnesota
Level Contributor
5,763 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Beach Erosion Occidental Allegro

Money can't buy everything. Mother Nature will prevail. ...eventually!

You gotta love that Google translator ... if a picture is worth a thousand words how does it translate a Mexican jpg file.

Anyone know why the main street is 5th in Playa? What happened to 1st ...is it underwater?

I have never seen an old map of Playa ...it must be interesting!