We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Riu Palace Mexico, Secrets or Royal Hideaway?

Boston
Level Contributor
23 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Riu Palace Mexico, Secrets or Royal Hideaway?

My husband and I stayed at the Riu Palace Mexico ~2 yrs ago, and really enjoyed it, particularly the beach (I hope it's still there after last year's hurricanes). We are thinking of going back in early March, but not sure if we should try someplace new or play it safe and stay at Riu Palace again. I heard from a friend that the nearby Secrets was a great resort, and maybe more of an age-appropriate crowd for us (we're in our early 30s with no kids and found that the Riu Palace crowd was a bit older). After reading the posts, I'm a bit concerned that Secrets' beach might be rocky and a disappointment...I hear more about their wonderful pool, which is great, but we are beach people first and foremost. Has anyone stayed at both and can offer a good comparison? Secrets appears to be a bit more money, and I am trying to decide....Also, I've heard that Royal Hideaway is amazing, but is it really worth an extra $2000 to stay there and is their beach decent? It sounds so lovely, but I'm concerned about getting my money's worth with such a difference in price. Any advice/comparisons on these particular resorts would be very much appreciated.

Medford, New Jersey
Level Contributor
298 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Riu Palace Mexico, Secrets or Royal Hideaway?

If you are a beach person than Secret's capri may not be for you. The ocean there is a bit rocky for the first 20 or so feet, then it gats a little slimy further out. It was not enough to keep me from going in th water, but I have certainly been to better beaches.

That being said, the resort is fabulous and I absolutely plan to go back. My wife is more of a pool person, and their pool is great. The food was great and the service and facility was as good as I have been in just about anywhere.

Paul G.

Canada
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Riu Palace Mexico, Secrets or Royal Hideaway?

All are great but the RPM is significantly cheaper than the other two you've mentioned... RPM has the nicest beach, hideaway and secrets have marginally better food and service...

Kansas City
Level Contributor
437 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Riu Palace Mexico, Secrets or Royal Hideaway?

I have stayed at Secrets Capri once and RH four times. I think the RH is definitely worth the extra money. We love the beach at RH. People have commented that the beach isn't very big at RH, but we think the beach is beautiful. And the water - oh, it's so beautiful and crystal, clear turquoise. The staff is amazing and you're treated like royalty. The food is fantastic and the location is so close to PDC. Secrets Capri was very nice but in our opinion, was not up to RH. I also didn't care for the location of Secrets. However, SC is a very nice resort and we enjoyed our week there. I just feel that we have stayed at the best and nothing else compares.

4. Re: Riu Palace Mexico, Secrets or Royal Hideaway?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 August 2009, 01:16