We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cell Phone Service???

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Washington Twp, NJ
Level Contributor
111 posts
Save Topic
Cell Phone Service???

Just curious if cellular service is available in the PDC area. We are staying at the El Dorado Seaside Suites, and need to make a couple of calls to the US while we are there. We are Verizon customers in US. Can anyone confirm that we will be able to get a signal???

Thanks,

Peter

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,497 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cell Phone Service???

There shouldn´t be a problem, but you should check with Verizon before leaving.

Washington Twp, NJ
Level Contributor
111 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Cell Phone Service???

I checked with them, and they stated that as long as I can get a signal we should be fine. Just curious if I can get one on the resort...

long island
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Cell Phone Service???

check to see if you need I-plan (or something like that), you need to get the software (over the phone) before you go. I, also had called and was told I needed to sign up for that.

Washington Twp, NJ
Level Contributor
111 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Cell Phone Service???

Yes, we already took care of the I-Plan... Thank you.

sig
Yorktown Heights
Level Contributor
5,489 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cell Phone Service???

I stayed in Puerto Morelos had no problem getting signal.

As a matter of fact the reception was as good as in U.S.

Washington Twp, NJ
Level Contributor
111 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Cell Phone Service???

Excellent. we will be inbetween Akumal, and Puerto Aventuras.

Bel Air Maryland
Level Contributor
223 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cell Phone Service???

Were in Playa in October with Verizon cell phones. WE updated a week prior to leaving, and were able to receive and call out with great reception. And, when we received our bill, it was only about $20.00 for the calls. (We called home at least once a day for 5 days)

Olmsted Falls, OH
Level Contributor
179 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cell Phone Service???

We too are going to the EDSS in January and are Verizon Customers. In the past I have never been able to get reception on my phone in the Riviera Maya including Playa, even updated my roaming on my phone before I left. Verizon informed me they do have towers in Cancun but it is hit or miss whether we can pick up the signal-from their lips! What is the deal with this 1-Plan? Very much extra? Can you just add it for brief periods such as vacations? Sounds great, we usually do not mind not being able to use our phone, but my husband will be expecting a very important phone call that we just found out about ! Thanks for the question/answers very helpfull!!

Washington Twp, NJ
Level Contributor
111 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Cell Phone Service???

It is really not a plan. It is just something Verizon adds to your phone that allows you to make international calls. Once they add it, you can update your phone with the software by dialing *228, and then option 2. You just need to call them *611 and ask them to add it. There is no charge to add it. It is $.69 a minute plus connection charges.

sig
Yorktown Heights
Level Contributor
5,489 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cell Phone Service???

I just received a bill from Verizon. I talked 15 minutes and it all cost me about $10.00, which I think is very reasonable. Considering what the hotel prices are. Also when I visited Montreal the price

with Verizon is exactly same as Mexico. Basically it is $0.69 per minute plus taxes.