We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 ppl in a room for 2?

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
CT, USA
Level Contributor
110 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
3 ppl in a room for 2?

I have some friends going to PDC the same time as myself....They booked a room at a boutique hotel in PDC for 2 ppl and then a 3rd friend decided to tag along last minute. The room reservation says the room is for 2 ppl. They really dont' want to have to pay for an extra room - do you think they can get by w/ 3 ppl in one room (sleeping situation not an issue). Do they need to ask the hotel ahead of time? Or can the extra person just "sneak" by? If they do ask the hotel, how likely is it they'll say it's ok?

It's a non-AI hotel -i know that would def make a difference.

Pittsburgh, PA
Destination Expert
for Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
1,095 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 ppl in a room for 2?

I don't think it is fair to a business to be sneaky about this. They offer a service for a price and you can accept it, negotiate a different deal, or go elsewhere. Not being able to afford what they charge is not a reason to take it for free.

You could contact the hotel without identifying yourself and ask what the room rate is for three people--assume that will be possible. I wouldn't rely on information that you get online on this question, contact the hotel directly.

san diego, ca
Level Contributor
1,763 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 ppl in a room for 2?

If this is a smaller, non AI hotel, I would inform them of the 3 guests. The smaller hotels are very aware of who is staying there. There may or may not be an extra charge for the 3rd person, but personally, I would be up front about it with the hotel...

Playa del Carmen...
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
2,087 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 ppl in a room for 2?

Since we are the owners of a small boutique hotel in PDC, we have some strong opinions about this topic. A hotel room is designed for a certain number of guests. Of course, the comfort of the guest is a primary concern, but there are other issues. More people mean more wear and tear on the furniture, more towels, more laundry, more time for the maids, more plumbing, water, electricity, etc. In short, room rates are judged upon the overhead costs of a certain number of people. When you "sneak" someone into a hotel room without tell management to avoid paying for an extra room, you are asking the hotel to finance that extra person's stay. And of course since you're not actually asking, you're stealing the value of that person's stay from the hotel.

If this were our hotel and we found someone had brought in additional guests without telling us, we would ask all the guests to leave, and we would not refund their money. If a guest asked us if they could add an additional person, we would explain in some rooms there is simply not the space to do so. However, in our larger rooms, we would allow an extra guest and then charge a nominal fee for that person to cover that cost ($10.00 per day). Most small hotels we know operate the same way.

Hotel reservations are a mutual contract between a hotel and a guest. The hotel has to honor the guest's needs by providing the room and amenities promised. At the same time, the guest has to honor that contract by agreeing to obey the rules of the hotel. When this happens, everybody benefits.

Tony & Cheri Head

Luna Blue Hotel & Garden

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
27,994 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 ppl in a room for 2?

Luna provided info that shows that inquiring about the cost for a third person is not only morally right but very reasonable cost wise.

CT, USA
Level Contributor
110 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 ppl in a room for 2?

Thanks so much --- I will tell my friend to contact the hotel directly and ask ---if it's not an option, then they'll just have to get an extra room. Appreciate all the feedback!

6. Re: 3 ppl in a room for 2?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2009, 10:21