We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

altournative?

Fort Collins...
Level Contributor
212 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
altournative?

Thanks to this forum, I have learned about Altournative and my daughter and I would like to do one of their expeditions. We would love to hear from some folks who have been on one of their day trips! When we go, my daughter will have just turned 7, so I'm curious as to which expedition is most appropriate for her age. (they say 6 is the minimum age). We are trying to decide between these two and would appreciate any feedback:

Mayan Encounter - day long trip to Coba, rappelling into cenote, ziplines, etc. If she is too afraid to zip line or rappel, is that a problem? Does it hold up the group? My biggest concern here is that it seems like a really long day.

Mayan Zip Line - this is a shorter day, which would be good, but we would not get to see Coba. It also includes a bike ride - do they have any sort of tandem attachments since my daughter is not super fast or coordinated yet on a bike?

I have also emailed Altournative, and if I find out any info from them, I'll post a reply.

Thanks so much!

Christi

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
29,588 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: altournative?

Christi, the Mayan Encounter is a long day but worth it. Coba is neat. You can still climb the pyramid. If you don't want to rappel or do the zip line tis no problem. You can always watch and decide if you like it or pass while others do it. I saw no reason to have safety concerns. Obviously going up and down the pyramid you must be careful.

Pittsburgh, PA
Destination Expert
for Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
1,137 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: altournative?

We took the half day trip about 3 years ago, and there were some people who did not want to ride the bikes, so they just went back in the jeep. It was a very short bike ride anyway, although that may have changed. There were only a few other people on the tour other than my family, so it was a nice, small group and everyone enjoyed it.

Fort Collins...
Level Contributor
212 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: altournative?

Thank you both for the information! We're really looking forward to the trip, and I'm excited that my daughter is finally getting old enough to do a lot of the activities I enjoy as well. It will be her first time travelling outside of the US - she is very excited, particularly because she has been learning about the Mayans at school.

CO Pilot - I see you're in C. Springs. We're in Ft. Collins. The way this winter is going so far, Mexico will be a much needed vacation!

Christi

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
3,538 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: altournative?

As someone else mentioned, it is not a problem if your daughter doesn't want to go on the zipline or rappel, they would just stay with the guide. But they allowed us to do a tandem zipline so maybe your daughter could go with one of you.

I don't know about the bikes but if you were to go to Coba, they have Mayan "limousines", a bike where someone else does the pedaling and you sit back for the ride.

You might also take a look at Alltournatives Jungle Crossing, the activities are still fun but a little less scary I imagine for a 7 year old.

United States
Destination Expert
for Copper Harbor
Level Contributor
2,553 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: altournative?

We just did the Mayan Zip Line about a month ago. The half day was perfect for us because we got to do all the fun stuff and then we were back on the beach. The biking part was short - about a half hour maybe 45 minutes. There were people that skipped it and just hung out until lunch. The ride itself isn't very strenuous so even a 7 year old should be able to handle it. The zippin' was a BLAST!! The snorkeling was fun too! The lunch was a nice touch as well.

6. Re: altournative?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 August 2009, 12:24