We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

playa de Carmen

nova scotia
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Topic
playa de Carmen

My husband and I are going to stay at Secrets Capri. We will be heading into Playa de Carmen. Can you please recommend some restaurants and some fun upbeat bars?. We are in our late 30's.

Thanks

United States
Destination Expert
for Copper Harbor
Level Contributor
2,551 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: playa de Carmen

Our favorite restaurants from our trip about a month ago:

1. Ula-Gula - imaginative and delicious seafood

2. La Pummarola - BEST italian in Mexico, let alone PDC.

3. Media Luna - all around great food.

4. Palapa Hemingway - Coconut Shrimp - fantastic!

We thought Yaxche was overrated and overpriced!

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
home
Level Contributor
90 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: playa de Carmen

Check out Mil & ALux, across the highway on Ave. Juarez. Not necessarily the greatest food but where else can you eat and drink and dance in a genuine cavern! Stalactites, stalagmites, roots coming through the "ceiling" - its just too much.

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
109 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: playa de Carmen

I'd recommend starting at the main pier and walking north on the beach. There are all kinds of great oceanfront bars along there where you can get a sandwich with your toes in the sand. Enjoy the incredible view. Bottles of Corona or XX were $2. I'd stay away from Senor Frogs--2 beers and a soft drink ran me almost $20 somehow. And it felt like a chain restaurant, not like an authentic local place.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,005 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: playa de Carmen

Oddly enough my wife and I had a great time at Carlo's and Charlie's. We had a terrific table out on the baclony overlooking the main square and ferry dock. The atmosphere was really lively and the drinks flowed freely.

Generally speaking I would probably never recommend this place however if you're looking for a fun lively afternoon you may want to stop in for a drink or three.

Iowa
Level Contributor
437 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: playa de Carmen

Go north of the Ferry Pier a little bit. La Tarraya on the beach at Calle 2, has some good relatively cheap food on the beach but not really a lively place. A couple blocks north on the beach, Fusion at Calle 6 on the beach has some cheaper drinks and the Playa Maya Beachfront Palapa just north of the Fusion has really good food and a 5 beers in a bucket of ice with a big Plate full of Nachos for 110 pesos. Also great shrimp tacos, fish tacos, and Coconut Shrimp. They are only open till around 6 pm so that would be a daytime beachfront meal that is awesome, relatively reasonable, and you eat beachfront with your toes in the sand.

6. Re: playa de Carmen

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 August 2009, 13:15