We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Avoiding food related illnesses and shuttle infor

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
rochester,ny
8 posts
Save Topic
Avoiding food related illnesses and shuttle infor

Hi,

This will be our second trip to Iberostar Paraiso Maya. Last time someone in our family became very ill. Are there certain things to avoid eating that may prevent this?

Also, what is the best way to travel from Cancun airport to Paraiso Maya? Last time transfers were included with our package, this time they are not.

Thanks!

Columbus, OH
Level Contributor
745 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Avoiding food related illnesses and shuttle infor

Hi Deb,

In the past year we have stayed at Riu Palace Playacar and Dreams Tulum so haven't used transport to Iberostar however we used the transport company at the website www . dreamdays . com (don't remember if the name is something else). We were very pleased. We did private transfer and the van was newer, driver courteous and even showed up early for the pick up back to the airport. I'd reccomend them. Other people also talk about I want to say Cancun Valet so you you may want to do a search on here for them.

As far as illness we have always used the rules of brush teeth with bottled water, take it easy on too much pina colada as the coconut has a laxative effect, only eat fruits you can peel your self, and we didn't eat salads. We have always used these rules in 6 Mexico trips but our trip to Riu Palace found both my husband and I violently ill. Could have been a virus or could have been it was two weeks after the hurricane as the musty smell in the room was terrible. Who knows you really can't place blame but I know how awful that feeling of illness was and it was the only time we have gotten ill in Mexico.

That said, when we took our kids with us last summer I was taking no chances. We took something called Florastor with us. Sold over the counter at local pharmacy. They have childrens and adult variety. We took one every day before going down to breakfast. It's a probiotic that encourages good bacteria growth. There is a website for them and it explains it. Also have some yogurt at breakfast it helps too. It couldn't have hurt because not one of us got ill on our trip.

Have fun!!!

northumberland UK
Level Contributor
6 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Avoiding food related illnesses and shuttle infor

It is disturbing to see how many people DO NOT wash their hands after using a toilet! I personally think a lot of stomach problems are caused by guests not the hotels hygiene. This is a big problem with lunch buffets and handling utensils etc. We try to avoid beach/pool buffets and go to main buffet were people have to get dressed and seem to make more effort. Or, serve left hand - eat right hand.

Follow previous advice and you should be fine - 3 caribbean holidays and no stomach problems YET!

san diego, ca
Level Contributor
1,763 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Avoiding food related illnesses and shuttle infor

I will be using Cancun Valet for the 6th time in APril. They are a great, established company! CancunValet.com

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
49 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Avoiding food related illnesses and shuttle infor

Our doctor suggested taking two Pepto-bismol tablets per day, He says that it will coat the lining of the digestive tract and make it more resistant to digestive ailments. My wife and I have practiced this on a few trips. It seems to have worked. We have determined through experience that it is better to take one Pepto per day, two is a little too much if you ask me.

Eau Claire...
Destination Expert
for Copper Harbor
Level Contributor
2,534 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Avoiding food related illnesses and shuttle infor

Taking the two Pepto caplets before each meal and at bedtime may help as Pepto has a mild antibacterial action. You might also consider getting prescriptions for Cipro and Lomotil from your doctor before you in case you get sick.

IMHO avoiding salads, fruits, & ice won't make much of a difference. We've been all over Mexico and never avoided anything and haven't been sick (knock on wood). You are more likely to get sun poisoning or the "brown bottle flu" or "Corona Fever" then you are to get sick from food.

Relax have a good time!

Midland, MI
Level Contributor
47 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Avoiding food related illnesses and shuttle infor

Just got home Wed from Rui Playacar with 2 small kiddos & no stomach things at all!!! I would say just be smart...drink bottled water & brush teeth with it.....my 5 yr old & I ate salad ALL week & ate fruit....don't worry about that. Most all inclusive resorts are fine. I think that it is just dumb things that happen...people not washing hands...drinking too much, too much sun. The only thing that happened to me was I got the virus that my daughter had before we left...upper resp infection & we had a nusrse with us & we got a z-pak over counter!!! Felt better next day. Also, word of caution if it rains......walk slowly!!! Most floors are tile & the like & I fell square on my knee cap!!! I really thought that I broke it. I did get x-rays here & it isn't isn't but it is sooo sore!! So walk slowly:)

Kitchener Ont.
Level Contributor
674 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Avoiding food related illnesses and shuttle infor

I saw a Oprah show a couple of weeks ago about bacteria in the ice on the planes. It was 80% higher in the ice than in the toilet water on the plane. Gross! Don't get ice on the plane. Chances are you pick more up on the plane than at the resort.

Hartford...
Level Contributor
532 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Avoiding food related illnesses and shuttle infor

We've traveled many times to Mexico and other Carribean AIs and have never gotten sick. I eat salad (a huge one) every day for lunch and eat the fruit. I too take 2 pepto pills every other day. People have to use common sense...if you don't eat alot of vegtables at home..don't eat on vacation..same goes with friut or drinks. Your system might take time to get used to the diet change and possibly give you a reaction. And NEVER,NEVER use tap water to brush your teeth!!

Cape Cod, MA
Level Contributor
26 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Avoiding food related illnesses and shuttle infor

We went to the Lindo the week of 1/17 to 1/22. I am definitely a "stomach problem" person, and neither me, my husband or my five year old son got sick. We did the teeth brushing, etc. with bottle water, took probiotics starting a week ahead of time (acidophilus comes in chewable tablets) and we ate and drank everything, but didn't overdo. We even had lunch outside the resort and were fine. However, there was one morning at the breakfast buffett where my husband came to the table with an "over easy" egg that was almost raw. I told him that it wasn't smart to eat stuff that way in Mexico. We also brought and used antibacterial hand sanitizer even AFTER we had washed our hands in the rest room. The bathroom at Tulum is disgusting (no toilet seats, you get your t.p. BEFORE you go into the stall, etc.).

So, just be smart...... you'll have a great time! P.S. - don't drink the water, use the ice, or eat the food on the airplane - you would be disgusted at what the water tanks look like on the plane - there is more bacteria there than anywhere.

Okoboji, Iowa
Level Contributor
233 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Avoiding food related illnesses and shuttle infor

As far as illness is concerned you may want to be aware of "norovirus".This nasty bug is really making the rounds in the midwest.The symptoms are exactly the same as food poisoning,etc.I'm sure that some vacationers have brought the "bug" to Mexico with them. The resort setting would be perfect for spreading it around!! So don't be too quick to blame the resort for poor hygiene,you might want to blame your fellow travelers! The latest review of the Riu Tequila is a classic example of blaming the resort.