We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tulum eats

Which Tulum hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
6 posts
Save Topic
Tulum eats

We are staying in Tulum for a week, any suggestions of good places to eat? Good, authentic local food would be great!

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,460 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tulum eats

Probaby the best place for you to get some authentic local food is at Nachos/Mayan Grill near Diamante K along the beach rd.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Tulum
Level Contributor
5,620 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tulum eats

Mayan Grill is my favorite these days, and you'll find plenty of the most authentic places in the pueblo. Zamas at the beach is good for a wide variety of foods including very good pizza.

Don't be surprised, though, that there are a lot of Italian restaurants in the area. For some reason the Italians set up shop a decade or so ago and many places there feature Italian cooking. It's all good, just something to get used to when you're looking for Mexican all the time.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
205 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tulum eats

Here is a link on this forum of a previous post on eats:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g150813-i155-k1022…

Have a great time!

Fort Wayne, IN
Level Contributor
81 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tulum eats

We were just in Tulum on Wednesday, and we spent some time in the Pueblo (town), mainly looking for souvenirs and picking up the "vibe" of the place...as much as you can pick up from staying on the main drag of 307. For such a poor area, they sure had a lot of internet places (with what appeared to be reasonable rates).

We also took a cab down to the beach road to eat lunch at La Vita y Bella, an Italian place on the northern spur of the beach road. The food was pretty good, not spectacular. The pricing is what you'd expect for a beach restaurant....my wife had a pizza, I had a bowl of pasta, and we shared 3 soft drinks, for a grand total of 273 pesos plus tip. We were severely overdressed in shorts & shoes, since most people were in swimwear and sandals, which went well with the sand floor. All in all, it was okay, I guess, but I have yet to find a decent bowl of pasta in 4 trips to the Yucatan. The closest I ever came was at a cheap AI resort in Cancun...kinda sad, really. But I don't go there for the great Italian food, so that's okay.

Why I mention this is that I really wish we had eaten in Tulum pueblo instead. Most of the restaurants we passed smelled absolutely fantastic, and some had some very friendly looking prices (since they're not on the beach). There were 2 pizza places, a bunch of Mexican places, and an Argentinian Grill. After reading some reviews, I now wish we had skipped the fancy meal on the beach and poked our heads into Don Cafeto or Don Karonte - both had the best aromas as we walked past, and it would have saved us a few bucks as well. Of course, we wouldn't have seen that beautiful Tulum beach area, which is a treat all to itself. We should have eaten in town, brought our swimwear, and rented a palapa down at La Vita Y Bella (with 2 padded beach chairs) for $6 US, and hit the beautiful beach.

If I go again, I would eat at least one of the two "Dons" (there's also a Don Cafeto's on the beach road, I have read). The Don Karonte and Don Cafeto in the pueblo are a few doors down from each other on the east side of 307...just follow your nose. I wish I had followed mine.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,310 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tulum eats

There is a hotel near the parking lot to the ruins called El Crucero, They serve breakfast (fantastic coffee), lunch and dinner, under an open palapa. I had a fish veracruz that was by far the best I've had, Their prices are very reasonable and the cooks know their stuff, as do the servers. The lounge is fun at night.

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,497 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tulum eats

Great Italian food: Il Giardino. Great atmosphere, small, well (but slowly) attended by the owner. Don't wait until you're starving until you go, because they're not fast at getting your meal out to you. But the food has always been great!

7. Re: Tulum eats

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2009, 14:21