We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pooping on my parade.

Which Tulum hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
NY
Level Contributor
87 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Pooping on my parade.

Leave it to my co-workers to spoil an otherwise festive and anticipatory mood.

We're hitting Tulum in a couple of weeks and are very excited. Of course, one of my co-workers started up about kidnappings and crime. I realize that this is very rare and even so, is mostly pertinent to the interior or around Tijuana and Mexico City.

Are there any concerns in and around Tulum?

I wouldn't even ask except for what recently happened with that poor Isreali girl. Any news on that?

Sheffield, UK
Level Contributor
1,874 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pooping on my parade.

Dont worry about Tulum!

By the way is there any crime/problems in NY?

Level Contributor
849 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pooping on my parade.

perfect answer tired boy.... :))

NY
Level Contributor
87 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pooping on my parade.

Exactly. Now it's clear why I need a vacation!

I think that, for them, the "exotic nature" of the crime gets a hold. In NY you can get mugged or have stuff stolen but anything involving a foreign country and the way the press "sensationalizes" kidnappings fuels their frenzy.

Thanks.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
27,988 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pooping on my parade.

There was a recent barrage about a man who died in the Yucatan (Moon Palace?) with claims of being beaten, coverup, etc. His reported drunken condition made all of that suspect yet it was just in the last week or so that an autopsy in Canada confirmed that his injuries were consistent with a fall.

I would much rather be in Tulum that NYC.

Level Contributor
849 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pooping on my parade.

on the bright side, if everyone bails from mexico, just think of the deals we'll all get :)

NY
Level Contributor
87 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pooping on my parade.

Ha.

I hate to come across as a misanthrope but I really can't stand "Sheeple".

My wife and I are totally digging this upcoming trip. Sure, the AIs are great but there's something to be said about unplugging, assimilating the local llifestyle and falling off the grid.

Mention to a person that there's no AC and the usual remark is a startled "What?!?! In MEXICO??!?!"

Hey, people live there without AC all year, you know?

"So... where do you eat? Are meals included?"

I mean, how much spoon-feeding does one need?

Level Contributor
849 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pooping on my parade.

is that a rhetorical question?

:)

phoenix
Level Contributor
631 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pooping on my parade.

Unless you're from Canada, its safe!

(That's a joke at all the comments about all the Canadians that are getting attacked in Mexico)

Great answer/question TiredBoy. Loved it!!

NY
Level Contributor
87 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pooping on my parade.

Heheh! A rhetorical question? Not intentionally but good point.

Listen, I know you guys must get sick and tired of tourists getting all worked up over things that don't exist in that part of Mexico. But it's good to know since travelling to such places isn't often the norm.

Yes, there's crime in NYC but to paint ALL of NYC as a lecherous breeding ground of sin would be as egregious as painting ALL of Mexico as a bandito-filled, tarantula-ridden backwater.

Is there crime in London? I'll bet there is. But as I can speak the language, I have a little more confidence in being able to get around or potentially spot a situation that may cause trouble.

Not so for us in Mexico where we are trying to learn simple phrases and enjoy the exotic setting of this getaway.

Hell, had it not been for some reading guidebooks and this forum, we wouldn't have known about "la mordita" (or the lack thereof) nor the true costs of getting around nor which places are still unspoiled and which have, more or less, become tourist-havens.

"Get the truth. Then go."

That's all we're trying to do.

Thanks for the info and putting my irrational bout of paranoia at rest.

Illinois
Level Contributor
358 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pooping on my parade.

There was an Israeli woman that has gone missing from Tulum. I don't know the details, but there are posters at the police station in Tulum and a large billboard with her picture near the airport.