We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

retirement in tulum area

austin
5 posts
Save Topic
retirement in tulum area

my question is that I will soon have $1,000.00 social security check to live on, and would like to retire in or around Tulum..

would I be able to find, say a small house, or apt. for, say, $300.00 per month, so that I could live in the area for a total of $1,000.00 per mo.????

and if not in that area, any area you recommend where I could comfortably live on $1,000.00 per month?

please respond !

oz
Level Contributor
4,450 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: retirement in tulum area

do you mean live there full time ? are you a us citizen? if you give up your citizenship wouldn't you have to give up your u.s. social security checks too ? maybe a local expert can help with this one.

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,497 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: retirement in tulum area

You don't have to give up citizenship to live in Mexico. So that won't be a problem with SS.

There is nothing available for $300 USD a month rent in Tulum, not even in the pueblo. Housing is hard to find in Tulum, and the cost of living is at least comparable to the US.

Are you set on retiring in Mexico? You should thoroughly research this before you move. Also think of healthcare. It's really not all that spectacular in Mexico.

There are lots of American retirement communities farther north, like San Miguel de Allende and Chapala. There are also lots of Americans in Akumal, which is near Tulum, but rent for a small apartment runs about $1,000-1,500 USD there.

Considering your budget, I would recommend staying away from the touristy areas. Mexico is not as inexpensive as people think it is.

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: retirement in tulum area

As a rule of thumb, the cost of living in Mexico is directly proportional to the number of Americans in the area. So touristy areas are expensive and places like San Miguel even more so. The only places that are cheap are ones where you will find few English speakers and even fewer non-Mexicans. That could be a problem if you are not fluent in Spanish.

I don't think you will find a coastal town where you could manage on $1,000 a month. Inland maybe somewhere like Tequisquiapan might suit - some expats and a pleasant little town. It is certainly possible to live on $1,000 a month (our maid's family of 5 live on $600 a month!) but I think you might find it hard.

menlo park
Level Contributor
172 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: retirement in tulum area

If you are determined to live near water, I'd suggest looking at the western side of Mexico. There are a lot of little one dog beach settlements with older houses, and that generally have a small grocery store and a bar, but no gas station. Get a car and lots of time, fly into Puerto Vallarta and start driving. It's pretty, it's remote, it's probably very cheap, but it's not luxurious. Hay que hablar espanol, amigo.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,310 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: retirement in tulum area

What do you plan on doing all day after you pay for rent, food, toiletries, transportation, and other essentials, with 1000.00 a month? It's a nice dream, but once all is said and done, it doesn't leave you with much, esp. if there is an emergency. And that is, IF you find a half-way decent place for 300. I would have to assume that to think about this you have a few $ extra stashed in savings.

It's a wonderful place, but take a look at the big pic.

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,497 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: retirement in tulum area

I think it's definitely doable in a small remote town somewhere, but keep in mind your standard of living is going to be much less than what you are used to.

Keep in mind the health care thing. It's NOT cheap in Mexico.

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo, Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
11,059 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: retirement in tulum area

Well, with the posters name...guess we don't have to mention clothes in the budget!

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,308 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: retirement in tulum area

the extra bug spray could be costly too.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
44,103 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: retirement in tulum area

Funny, 4 the record.

And I dont want to discourage but with that income, the only way you will be able to stay in Mexico with that income is on a tourist card, which means you will have to leave the country every 6 months to get a new one. The income, I believe, does not meet Mexicos minimum requirements for an FM3.

Many do just use the tourist visa but just a warning.

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: retirement in tulum area

Robert is right - the minimum income requirement has increased to approximately 1,800 dollars per month for a single person, 2,700 dolalrs for a couple. Although many people go in and out on tourist cards I believe that the rule is a maximum of 180 days in any one year so technically you would be illegal.