We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sain Ka'an Biosphere reserve

Linden, Michigan
Level Contributor
474 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Sain Ka'an Biosphere reserve

Silly question but can one snorkel at the Sain Ka'an biosphere reserve? Is this place close to the Barcelo Beach resort in Riviera Maya? Can I get there by bus?

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,497 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sain Ka'an Biosphere reserve

Yes, you can snorkel off the coast in the biosphere reserve. Keep in mind that the biosphere is pretty much all private property. This is not a national park. Still, most of the land is undeveloped, so you can cross through property to get to the beach.

Tulum is about 25-30 minutes south of Barcelo. From there, you can drive (you will need a taxi or rental car) into the biosphere reserve.

Or, you can take a tour. Which might be easiest if you don't have a rental car.

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,863 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sain Ka'an Biosphere reserve

A tour is good, because if you don't know where to go, you just drive along the coconut road. There is one beach with a good clearing - you'll know it when you see it.

Illinois
Level Contributor
76 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sain Ka'an Biosphere reserve

Related question: how do you pronounce Sian Ka'an? Thanks!

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,497 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sain Ka'an Biosphere reserve

See-on Kon

Did that make sense?

Illinois
Level Contributor
76 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sain Ka'an Biosphere reserve

Thanks, Holly! I have been pronouncing it Sy-an Kan--duuhhh! :c) Any way you pronounce it, looking forward to visiting the reserve in late August.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
299 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sain Ka'an Biosphere reserve

If you have a rental car - there is a small town in Sian Ka'an called Punta Allen. There are a couple of fun places to eat on the beach there, and you can swim/snorkel off the beach. Usually there are a bunch of small fishing boats along the beach - they can/will take you out to some great snorkeling for a fee.

playa del carmen
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Sain Ka'an Biosphere reserve

I like to enter the biosphere through the Muyil ruins. After you can walk in the jungle on an ancient sacbe mayan road. There's a observatory tower muy lindo... After you can rent boat that will bring you through the lagoon and canal. My favorite part... You will fine the ruins about 20 minutes after Tulum on the highway.. Very easy to fine or you could buy a tour. I know cesiak has them or if you are traveling with a agency I'm sure they have some too...

Linden, Michigan
Level Contributor
474 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sain Ka'an Biosphere reserve

Can anyone recommend a tour company that goes to the reserve? It sounds like a tour is the way to go.

Thanks

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,497 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sain Ka'an Biosphere reserve

I think CESIAK has a tour. Check their website.

10. Re: Sain Ka'an Biosphere reserve

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 September 2009, 02:19