We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airfare in July?

Which Tulum hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
56 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Airfare in July?

If you have traveled in July, or are flying from the US to Cancun this month, I wonder if you could share some airfare information?

We are planning a wedding on Saturday, 7/5/08 in Tulum, and I am curious about airfare fluctuations around Independence day.

I picked 7/5 because it's a long weekend next year, so people won't have to take a day off work if they don't want to (spend a glorious week exploring the numerous wonders of Tulum!!!).

However, a few of our guests are already grumbling about how airfare is going to be ridiculously expensive around the holiday weekend.

My impression was that, on July 4th, people travel domestically. And, not a lot of people seek the warmer weather when it's already hot in the U.S.

If you have any experience traveling to Cancun airport during the summer, and have any suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated.

Or, even if you have (or going) once, if you could post the following information, then I can compare the answers, that might be helpful too.

Airline:

Departure date:

Return date:

Purchase date:

Price:

Thanks a bunch!

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,466 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airfare in July?

We flew last summer (2006) at July 4th holiday. Our airfare was the highest we ever paid - from Dallas on American. It was about $400/person and I bought it about a month before our trip.

Sometimes you need to compare charter "airfare only" deals with the major airlines to find the best deals. Also look at bestfares dot com - their best fares are unknown unless you are a "member", but at least it's another to compare, but keep in their prices do not always include tax...which is about $90/ticket (my experience anyway).

What is the airfare price for next summer's 4th?

We usually pay something in the $300s for airfare in August.

Bloomington, IL
Level Contributor
52 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airfare in July?

I think it really just depend.. For my last minute trip this July, the weekend of the 20th was extremely cheap through several charter companies out of St. Louis.. Every other weekend in July out St. Louis and Chicago were at double the price if not a little more. The holiday weekend didn't seem a lot more different then the weekend after that. Once again though, this was last minute so the holiday rate probably goes down as it gets closer to it...

detroit
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Airfare in July?

Try Kayak.com They are the lowest I have seen and I fly out Detroit

Illinois
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Airfare in July?

From New York try looking at ATA. They are no frills, but usually pretty cheap.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
143 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airfare in July?

I flew Boston to Cancun on US Air on 7/4, returning a week later, for around $350. The planes were packed and people were being bumped, so advance planning is ncessary. The ticket was booked in mid-April.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
56 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airfare in July?

Thanks, guys, for your feedback!

Raleigh
Level Contributor
311 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airfare in July?

We flew this year on July 4th to the Dominican Republic. It was much cheaper to fly on July 4th. We stayed for 10 days so I can't say whether it would be more expensive to fly home after the long weekend.

Good Luck.

Brooklyn New York
Level Contributor
27 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Airfare in July?

Travelzoo advertised this past week amazing specials through American Airlines to mexico and the caribbean. I bought a non-stop R/T ticket from NYC to Tulum for $353 with all taxes included.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
56 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Airfare in July?

Can you guys tell me what your travel dates were?

Thanks again!

:-D

Brooklyn New York
Level Contributor
27 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Airfare in July?

My travel dates are for Sept. 6-Sept. 10. I believe the special fares on American span a few months, but have to be purchased within a specified time frame in July. Good luck.....