We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Casa Soliman - Soliman Bay - warning about robbery

Which Tulum hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,119 posts
89 reviews
Save Topic
Casa Soliman - Soliman Bay - warning about robbery

We rented the two houses on the north end of Soliman Bay, Casa Soliman and the adjoining palapa, the Soliman Guest House. The villas themselves are very nice, but the very fist night, the house was entered and robbed while we were sleeping. The timing and ease of entry were highly suspicious, suggesting an inside job. This was my third time in the area and fist problem, but with all the marvelous places to stay, why bother? It is one thing to have your camera lifted from a porch while you are down on the beach swimming. It is another to have robbers enter your house while your kids are sleeping in the rooms and steal your valuables.

The caretaker Manuel dutifully filled out insurance forms and probably collected twice when the claim was paid. we have seen nothing. He has been nonresponsive. the owner has been worthless and Locogringo, the travel agency which seemingly dominates the area, even worse.

The Bay itself is pretty with some nice snorkeling, though the beach is not really that super (too many rocks and too much trash). The beach stretching down from Tulum into the Sian K'aan is a much better option - and maybe your won't be robbed! I would not recomend staying at Casa Soliman under any circumstances.

Boulder Bill

phoenix
Level Contributor
631 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Casa Soliman - Soliman Bay - warning about robbery

Bill,

It's bummer that you have reported this "theft" in three different forums and yet have failed to supply the most basic information, Such as when this "theft" happened.

I have to ask why would you recommend everyone move "down from Tulum into the Sian K'aan "?

I can't help but think there is something else going here.

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,119 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Casa Soliman - Soliman Bay - warning about robbery

no, there is nothing going on. The robbery occured on December 22, 2006 and involved approximately $3,500 worth of our belongings (laptop, cameras, i-pods and cash). I learned today that the owner/travel agent/manager have no intention of making good on their previous promises of reimursement and am thus taking action. I was will to give them the benefit of the doubt over the last 8 months, but am no longer.

Nothing nefarious on my end, just a very unhappy camper trying to warn others

Boulder Bill

ps I did put this in three relevent forums to the area we stayed, so as to notify as many people as possible. seemed to make sense to me.

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,550 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Casa Soliman - Soliman Bay - warning about robbery

This is terrible. All of those homes are very high-end and gorgeous. We've had a watch stolen from a room, while we were gone. Your situation sounds very, very scary - to have strangers enter while your family is sleeping.

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,497 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Casa Soliman - Soliman Bay - warning about robbery

Did you lock all the doors and close all the windows that night, while you were sleeping? How did the robbers enter the house?

Was there a safe in the house to store valuables? Most hotels and rental properties cannot be held responsible for valuables not stored in the safe.

An insurance claim is a long process. They most likely haven't received a response yet. I would send them weekly emails to check up.

Robberies can occur anywhere, anytime. Even in the US. I don't think that Tankah is any more dangerous than other parts of the Riviera.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
12,869 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Casa Soliman - Soliman Bay - warning about robbery

well said Holly.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
5,132 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Casa Soliman - Soliman Bay - warning about robbery

"no, there is nothing going on. The robbery occured on December 22, 2006 and involved approximately $3,500 worth of our belongings (laptop, cameras, i-pods and cash). "

I sympathize with the loss of your valuables -- however: I cannot conceive of why anyone would take so many electronic gadgets and valuables with them on *vacation*! All you need is a swimsuit , some pesos, and the right attitude. This is the beach in Mexico after all, not the Ritz in Paris!

Looking forward to my days in Tulum next month with nothing more valuable than my passport...

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,497 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Casa Soliman - Soliman Bay - warning about robbery

Some people must travel with their computers. I have NEVER been on vacation without mine, unfortunately I can't stay away from work without it. So I understand why some people travel with a notebook.

iPods, many people listen to them on the flight, or while on vacation.

I think the important thing is, if people plan to bring electronic gear on vacation, it's important to keep things locked up. My first question before booking a hotel is whether it has a safe large enough for two notebooks and other small electronic items. If not, I won't stay there.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
5,132 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Casa Soliman - Soliman Bay - warning about robbery

That is exactly my reasoning -- why stay in a beach house with valuables? If work-related items is what one chooses to bring on "vacation" then one must choose a much safer hotel option . (And hey, think about geting a new job!)

As for me, I'll contine to travel world-wide (as I've done for 30 years) with a simple backpack, a book, and no gadgets!

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,497 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Casa Soliman - Soliman Bay - warning about robbery

Some beach houses probably have safes, and that's definitely something travelers should ask for before booking, if they know they will be bringing lots of valuables.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,310 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Casa Soliman - Soliman Bay - warning about robbery

Thanks for the info Bill.