We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do I have to rent a car?

Which Tulum hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ste-Claire, Québec
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Topic
Do I have to rent a car?

My friend and I want to stay in Tulum and visit the area, do I have to rent a car or can I use some collective transport. We are coming from Cancun airport.

Thank?

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,550 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do I have to rent a car?

You can take the bus. From what I understand, there are two ways to it.

1. take a bus from the airport to the bus station in Cancun - then get a bus to Tulum.

2. take a bus from the airport to the bus station in Playa del Carmen - then take another bus to Tulum.

I hope this accurate - we always rent a car, but this is what I've picked up from reading the forum.

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,550 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do I have to rent a car?

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g150813-s301/Tulum:Me…

Ste-Claire, Québec
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Do I have to rent a car?

Thank for your help

Do I have to take caution with the police? I think they like the rent car or maybe the money of the tourists

Ste-Claire, Québec
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Do I have to rent a car?

Do you know where I can have a roadmap of the Yucatan? Do you know if we found tollbooth on the road?

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,550 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do I have to rent a car?

You have to be very cautious when then speed limit changes - always watch your speed. The police have been more active along Hwy 307 north of Playa del Carmen with tourists going to the airport without a lot of time.

Hide your money - tell them all you have is 200 pesos in your wallet.

New York
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do I have to rent a car?

Try to avoid renting. The police are running a scam on the highway north of Playa Carmen stopping rentals (decal on bumper) for "speeding" . It cost us $80, and it cost our friend in another car $50 in bribes. It doesnt matter if you are going half the speed limit!!

Southern California
Level Contributor
12,376 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Do I have to rent a car?

For excellent maps, get some of the Mapchick maps, website is cancunmap.com or also go to mapchick.com and there is a link from there. You will most likely want the Riviera Maya map.

Like pepper we always rent a car but I believe her advice about how to get to Tulum is excellent. Unless you are staying in town, you will need to take a taxi from the Tulum bus station to your hotel on the Boca Paila beach road hotel zone, cost is about US$3-5 each way depending where your hotel is located.

So far we have been lucky and have never been stopped by the police. However I have been reading disturbing news on here recently about police in PDC stopping some folks with rentals on their way back to the airport. Won't deter us, as we are usually on our way to turn the car in and take the ferry to Isla Mujeres so I have plenty of time to challenge them to take me to the police station. I also only carry about US$20-30 cash in my wallet and hide the rest someplace else, like pockets of my shorts or something (they never expect a woman to carry money in their pants pockets).

Have a great trip.

Ste-Claire, Québec
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Do I have to rent a car?

Can I use my canadian licence or I need an international?

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,550 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Do I have to rent a car?

I imagaine your Canadian license is fine - I've never heard a problem about this. We always use our US licenses.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
78 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Do I have to rent a car?

We have rented a car over 9 times in the area . Never a problem. Just be cautious and drive the speed limit. The driving is a lot different in mexico than the US so just take your time and be aware.

We have drove all the way to Chetumal . We are going back in November and I already booked a rental car with Budget. They were really reasonable. I also do the insurance ($20USD extra per day) but well worth it for peace of mind while on vacation.

have a great trip !!!