We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hippie beach, turtles, & maps

Which Tulum hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
MD
Level Contributor
361 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Hippie beach, turtles, & maps

Can anyone explain hippie beach a bit?

I am planning to spend some time with my son at Cabanas Tulum in mid June. Does anyone know if we will likely be able to see turtles coming onto the beach on our own or if we need to book a tour?

The can-do web site is out of stock of Chichen Itza which it appears is the best map to get for seeing multiple ruins, cenotes, & out of the way places. Any recommendations for other good maps? Any other maps I should also get?

Also, I'm a little concerned that I havent heard back from Cabanas Tulum yet. It's been days. Is this typical & no need to worry? I definitely want a beachfront room & don't know how likely it will be to get wone if I wait till I get there?

Thanks

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,310 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hippie beach, turtles, & maps

Have patience with Cabana's Tulum. Carlos is a little slow in responding. Try again in a week and he'll say "see you when you get here". Almost all of the rooms are beachfront, so don't worry. Make sure your fan works in your room when you check in.

I think the turtles lay their eggs in June. They will come up on the beach at night to lay the eggs. Get a special flashlite with a red cover. I know Akumal has tours, but I don't know if you really need one. I'd ask around once you get there. Do snorkel in Akumal if you want to swim with the turtles.

I reccomend Laura Mapchick Maps for the Riviera Maya area.

I'm sure you will really enjoy yourselves!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,310 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hippie beach, turtles, & maps

Oh, and I have no idea where hippie beach is.

Washington DC
Level Contributor
1,664 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hippie beach, turtles, & maps

Many decades ago almost evrything south of Tulum ruins was a "hippie beach". There are still some public beaches and maybe some cheap lodgings on the beach. But I'm afraid the days of a $4 a night palapa with hammock are over.

Southwest Michigan
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hippie beach, turtles, & maps

Taken from this very website:

Where can turtles be seen?

From April to September, Tulum is one of the best places to see the sea turtles lay their eggs. Each night turtles crawl out of the sea to lay their eggs on the beaches. Because any kind of light will startle the turtles, we request that flashlights not be used. Also please do not smoke on the beach at night. If nesting turtles are scared into returning to the sea, they will not return to the beaches to nest again this season.

MD
Level Contributor
361 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hippie beach, turtles, & maps

Thanks tulu. I got the feeling that was the case with Cabanas Tulum, just making sure, & thanks for the tip, about the fan. Mapchicks is the can-do maps. I'm on a wait list for the Chichen Itza map, but no teling if they will be back in stock soon enough for my trip. I am hoping some one knows of another good source. Thanks again

Washington DC
Level Contributor
1,664 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hippie beach, turtles, & maps

The National Geographic has a great area map marking all ofthe Mayan ruins in the Yucatan, Guatemala, Honduras etc... They probably have a map of Chichen Itza also.

7. Re: Hippie beach, turtles, & maps

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 September 2009, 14:18